Pulled a bone headed move last night.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pulled up to a good spot to fish and started catching lots of fish so I drop the anchor and limit out on Crappie after about 2 hours. I get ready to take off and I do everything right and nail the 150 to get on plane. That's when the problem starts. I have plenty of RPM's, but can't get on plane and the bow is way up in the air, so after about 6 tries, I stop and look at the motor, transom, prop, etc. and decide to go over to shore and get out in the shallow water to see what it wrong. Well, I get about 30yrds from shore and I can't get any closer. Now I'm at a loss, so I jump into the water and almost cut the 'boys' off on the anchor rope that was still attached to the anchor at the bottom of the lake. Boy did I feel stupid. Pulled the anchor up and put it away and off I went.

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Pulled a bone headed move last night.

Never made that mistake...whew.

Only because the wife stopped me.

:redface:

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

lol I'll never understand how ya make that mistake, but you're not the only one I've heard of doing that.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey, there is one i haven't tried yet, yet being the key word here.

glad you are ok and didn't lose any important parts.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I've forgotten to pull up the side ladder on the 'toon a couple of times. It's almost like dragging an anchor.
Mike

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

been there..except with a concrete block as an anchor. i bet ya didn't know a concrete cinder block could get on plane behind a 14' skiff...sure does when your draggin it through the water at WOT. figured that one out quick thankfully before the rope snapped...

CrappieLimit

Cadet

I saw a man in a 16' flat bottom boat crank up his small out board. The boat started out straight then jerked to the left into a wide circle. The operator fell out of his seat into the bottom of the boat. The boat made about 5-6 circles before he could kill the engine. He was able pull up his anchor too. Luckly he misses all the boats anchored near by.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I saw a man in a 16' flat bottom boat crank up his small out board. The boat started out straight then jerked to the left into a wide circle. The operator fell out of his seat into the bottom of the boat. The boat made about 5-6 circles before he could kill the engine. He was able pull up his anchor too. Luckly he misses all the boats anchored near by.
No kill switch or jacket, right?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, that will slow you down alright !!!:D

Lucky 1

Cadet

I was fishing with my cousin years ago when I had to row to a remote part of the lake which was quite a distance. On the way back I was struggling to get back. My cousin was just blabbering" You *****, can't you row" I kept on truckin with those oars just as dedicated as heck to get us back. We almost reached our destination and he just starts laughing like you can't believe.Then I see he is pulling up that anchor rope and up come that anchor with about 50 pounds of seaweed on it. I can laugh about it now.

axeslinger1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulled up to a good spot to fish and started catching lots of fish so I drop the anchor and limit out on Crappie after about 2 hours. I get ready to take off and I do everything right and nail the 150 to get on plane. That's when the problem starts. I have plenty of RPM's, but can't get on plane and the bow is way up in the air, so after about 6 tries, I stop and look at the motor, transom, prop, etc. and decide to go over to shore and get out in the shallow water to see what it wrong. Well, I get about 30yrds from shore and I can't get any closer. Now I'm at a loss, so I jump into the water and almost cut the 'boys' off on the anchor rope that was still attached to the anchor at the bottom of the lake. Boy did I feel stupid. Pulled the anchor up and put it away and off I went.

Did anyone witness it? If not, you have plausible deniability because there's no proof it ever happened. :D

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I'm at a loss, so I jump into the water and almost cut the 'boys' off on the anchor rope that was still attached to the anchor at the bottom of the lake. Boy did I feel stupid. Pulled the anchor up and put it away and off I went.

Free advice.

Be careful getting off any boat anywhere around your trailer:eek:. It can be a real pain in the @$$. How do I know this? Uh - a friend told me.

aldena

Cadet

I heard a story of someone who forgot to unstrap the boat from the trailer, and just unhitched the trailer instead. Couldn't get the boat to plane. Could this really happen, or is it just an urban myth?

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I heard a story of someone who forgot to unstrap the boat from the trailer, and just unhitched the trailer instead. Couldn't get the boat to plane. Could this really happen, or is it just an urban myth?

There is a video on UTube of Bill Dance doing it, but it was a joke played on him by his film crew.

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, Did that just once going across lake George in Florida. It was just a 20 lb. mushroom anchor so it didn't snag on anything, but I expect with a different anchor and a rocky, snaggy bottom this could cause a real dangerous problem. Needless to say, I haven't done this again. Kinda like leaving your drain plug out while launching the boat, it makes you feel so stupid that maybe you remember better next time. Also helps when your wife says,"hey bozzo, did you put the plug in?"