How to Retreive an Anchor ??

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I lost an anchor on the rocks at the lake. I know where it is within about 20 Sq.Ft. or so.. I have bought a replacement (used!)from the local baitshop and while there I noticed they had a lot of used / recovered anchors. And It begged the question HOW ? How do they retreive these things from the lake?

So my real question is how to get mine back before someone else does.

It's a 15lb Vinyl covered river anchor ( Mushroom shape with flat parts sticking out).. Its in about 12-15ft of water on some rocks.

I am not going diving for it. thats for sure !
( Hint: "Beock" "beock" "Bok" "Bok")

Are there magnets powerful enough to lift one of these things up? Should I try to Snag it with something? Any Ideas !!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to Retreive an Anchor ??

I am not going diving for it. thats for sure !

Ayuh,... In that case, I doubt you'll ever see it again....

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

^^^agreed, I'm not sure what your hint means but it's gone otherwise.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Depends on the use of the lake. We have reservoirs here that are drawn down 40 feet or more over the winter. Some people call it an outing to go out in the winter and pick up lures, tackle, anchors, and whatever else they can around the stumps and on the flats.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get a friend to dive for it. If the visibility is decent a 12-15 ft dive is easy. Its just like diving to the bottom of the deep end in big swimming pool.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you really want to go to the trouble....

Did you cut the anchor rode at water line? It is possible to take another heavy object, like a concrete block. Tie a rope to the concrete block and thread the anchor rode through the concrete block. While holding both the cut anchor rode and the concrete block rope, let the concrete block slide down and possible hit the anchor to dislodge. You may have to drop the concrete block several times.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

test a new one in the store to see if it's magnetic. If so, use a large magnet to locate it--you may be able to bring it to the surface. They make "fishing magnets" for this.
If you locate it and can't raise it, make a grappling device with nails through a rope and a weight, and see if you can snag your line, which is swirling around down there.
(Next time you cut one loose, tie a float to it).
But if it's stuck tight, you won't be able to raise it. You can usually raise them once the pressure is released and/or by pulling in the opposite direction.
If it happens a lot, look into using a "wreck" anchor which is made either to bend loose or is "disposable."

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Last summer my brother in law drug up 2 anchors from the same lake in a single day. One was an iron navy type anchor and the other was a poured lead weight. Didn't mean to but we got caught on them while setting our own anchor. Based on that, might want to try to drag for it with a fluke type anchor.

But really, 12 to 15 feet isn't much to dive for. Hech - ask some kid if he'll to it for 20 bucks.

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the hints Guy's !

I might try and get it back, Not a great big deal but I hate loosing stuff. Especially when i know where it is..LOL

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

test a new one in the store to see if it's magnetic. If so, use a large magnet to locate it--you may be able to bring it to the surface. They make "fishing magnets" for this.
If you locate it and can't raise it, make a grappling device with nails through a rope and a weight, and see if you can snag your line, which is swirling around down there.
(Next time you cut one loose, tie a float to it).
But if it's stuck tight, you won't be able to raise it. You can usually raise them once the pressure is released and/or by pulling in the opposite direction.
If it happens a lot, look into using a "wreck" anchor which is made either to bend loose or is "disposable."

pulling the opposite direction is really your only hope if it's jammed in the rocks, from now on attach the rode to the head of the anchor and zip tie it down the shaft, if it gets stuck just yank hard, it'll come free.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd atleast try to dive for it. At that depth you won't need to go too deep to atleast get a look at it, and find it with a mask on. Also, if you had a gps on board you could have marked its location for an easy find when you go to retrieve it

bcons

Seaman Apprentice

Not just for anchors, but for retrieving all sorts of things a homemade drag is easy to make. Decades ago an old man who taught me alot, also showed me how he'd drag and recover all sorts of gear. He'd do it after Labor Day at all the popular spots, just to see what he'd find. He even got a small kicker/trolling motor once.

Take a 2" diameter threaded galv plumbing pipe 3-4' long, drill several 1/2" holes all the way through at various angles to each other, cut short lengths of 1/2" rebar, insert these in the holes you drilled (all the way through so 1/2 the rebar sticks out one side the other 1/2 out the other), tack weld. Take 2- 2" threaded caps drill hole in the middle of each, attach eye bolt to each.
fill the pipe with sand screw caps on the end. 6-7' of heavy rope, or some chain attached to eye bolts at each end to make a harness, tow rope attached to the mid-point of the harness. Done.
The final little detail, that I've never seen anyone else but him do is the addition of chicken wire fence. He'd have about 6-7' of chicken wire wrapped around the drag sticking all the rebar through the fence so it was fairly tight against the pipe the 2 ends sticking 3' back behind the drag, then he wrapped the loose ends of the fence around a 2x6 that was standing on it's side (the 5" up & down, not the 1.5") and stapled it. He said it kept the 2 peices of fence seperate, and a little boyant. He said all the smaller or lighter stuff that would flip over the drag or not get caught by the drag itself would get stuck on the fence.......