73 starcraft super sport bow wood ?

flatsider45

Seaman
Anyone replaced the wood in the bow area on the open bow of a super sport.I started removing the fastners that hold it in place and found I couldnt get it out without cutting it and thats no problem, it's going back with it .It looks like it and the bow supports were put in before it was skinned.I wanted to put extra support up there to accomadate a trolling motor.(sorry guys,she's goin' to be a fishing rig) Any ideas? Thanks

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 73 starcraft super sport bow wood ?

just to make you feel better ... your not the only one here that cut that piece out. you will have to cut the replacement board a little shorter to be able to get it back in there. check ezmobee's resto thread.... he replaced his but i cant say for sure if he posted about it or not but its worth a look. CBG

flatsider45

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I'll look at his thread to see if he mentions it.

Huron Angler

Admiral

As CBG mentioned this is a known issue...those pieces have been named the "keystone" of the SS model :)

They came from the factory with at least 10-12 fasteners and are quite difficult to remove. I haven't pulled mine out yet, just put some new vinyl on it for now:redface:

I plan on adding a bow-mount Minn Kota down the road myself and I will remove it and add some plywood reinforcement to support the motor.

We have all been perplexed by this piece at one time or another:D

flatsider45

Seaman

Yes, mine are so rotten on top I won't be able to fasten the trim back down to it like it is and I think I can replace it without too much trouble,but the two pieces that go to the front of the boat have a small channel that supports them and fasteners that go through them from the top.I may be able to cut the fasteners off,but the wood there is in better shape and the fasteners wont pull through the wood.So I'll have to chisel that out.I'll let you know how it goes.Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep. As mentioned, check my thread. I replaced it with a PVC trim board from Lowes which I am very pleased with and rot-proof.