Mercontrol Issues

Tylerbjh

Recruit
Hey all, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me here. I bought a boat last weekend and really want to have it in the water this weekend, but I'm having issues with the MerControl. (Its the one with a throttle/shifter, cold start idle control, choke and ignition). What my issue appears to be is the red throttle control will only go as far as neutral then it locks up. I have the cables going to it disconnected so I know they are not the issue. I tried taking it apart to see if there was anything obviously wrong and I ran into broken screw.. which doesnt look to affect the shifting. Also a little cylinder piece of metal fell out and I dont know where it goes. Kind of looks like a ball bearing but a cylinder.

Thanks for any help you can offer.. Oh also my motor is a 1989 50 hp mercury, if I cant get the mercontrol operational is there a cheap alternative to finding the identical control arm(aftermarket perhaps?)

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercontrol Issues

That little roller is the detent roller. It goes between the flatspring and the face cam. It basically lets you know when you are in neutral. You should see the small depression in the face cam where it would sit when in neutral. the detent spring is the inside at the top front of the box.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might post a picture. BTW - The cold start lever must be all the way down or the throttle will not advance.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is this your controler

Attachments

• !Bv(dqn!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!jgEv1+0CqBLBMESBbNqr!~~_35.jpg
    !Bv(dqn!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!jgEv1+0CqBLBMESBbNqr!~~_35.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 0

Tylerbjh

Recruit

Yes actually that is my controller.. I took it apart to see if I could determine the problem and came up with nothing. All I figured out is that I believe I have some missing parts. I'm considering just buying a new controller and cables off of iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Merc-Control-...****.039142117--view_id.169454--viewcart.long Does anyone know if that product includes both the throttle cable and idle cable?

Also would they just attach directly to http://www.iboats.com/Side-Mount-Si...****.039142117--view_id.197589--viewcart.long that controller..

and last question. Would all of this work with both my 1989 50hp merc aswell as my 1989 65 hp merc? Thanks!

Working real hard to get this boat on the water, just need to take care of this controller issue.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The control should work with both motors, providing that have the same wiring harness connections. The control cables will definately work.