Serial numbers

RCARLIN

Recruit
I had a 35 horse 1981 electric start evinrude outboard stolen. It is now a year later and the motor is on the back of a boat that is a block from where it was stolen. I have papers for the motor ect.. but the serial number plate has been removed. The police could not find a serial number. Where else besides this plate can you find a serial number?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Serial numbers

Welcome to iboats!

Many of the evinrude johnsons had a serial number stamped into a small freeze plug (I know mine does but it is a V-4)....... maybe they did it on the smaller motors too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are looking for one of these. Location may vary. But don't be surprised if it is missing. Any thief knows enough to remove it.

Attachments

• 18hp Serial number.jpg
    18hp Serial number.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Do you have any photos of the motor when you had it in your possession from a year ago? Perhaps one showing a ding in a skeg, or a scratch on the cowling? Something that would make it somewhat unique enough to show it was yours?

RCARLIN

Recruit

Yes, I have pictures that show very identifiable marks/damage on it that it should be clear cut case. I also have the last registered papers along with a bill of sale for the motor and boat that it was on when I bought it. The police had the pictures when they went to look at it but the only thing that they did was look for a serial #.

jasper60103

Commander

I'm truly sorry to hear your misfortune and hope you get your motor back.

My father once had a car stolen. Some months later he got a notice in the mail about some unpaid parking tickets. Of course, they were dated after the car was reported stolen. The funny thing is, the city still wanted their money.

RCARLIN

Recruit

Thanks for the help especially F_R. Luckily they were not smart enough to remove that. I called the Criminal Investigative Department and met them at the boat. I was able to locate the serial # on that motor and the motor is now back in the proper hands!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are one of the rare ones. Glad you got your motor back. Must have had a dumb crook--or he's just getting started in the business.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

any word on how they got possesion or if anything was ever done?..

That is pretty ballsey to steal an engine off a guys boat!! and then it appears a few block or houses away??..are you kidding me!!!

clearly this is another story of Americas dumbest criminals....

RCARLIN

Recruit

a guy gave this guy the motor in exchange for some work on his truck. Said that he had this motor just laying around. I have to go in and fill out a recovered property form today. When I go in I am going to see where they are on finding the guy that just had the motor laying around. All of the steering cables ect were cut off the motor when it was stolen and the cylinder that the steering rod connects to was also damaged.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds fishy to me...I assume he doesnt remember the guy either?.. wow..
i'm still not convinced..whats the probabilities your motor gets stolen and it winds up in your neighborhood?.. what are the chances!

Glad you got it back..that usually doesnt happen..

I imagine there are laws around you that make it unlawful to be in possesion of stolen property?...mmmmmm

hope you get her running again!

RCARLIN

Recruit

Actually the guy that had the motor was really nice. He works at some of the schools in the area as a mechanic. He told the police the guys name that gave the motor to him and the CID was going to look into it.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Happy to hear it.. I view stealing someones motor on the same lines as stealing someones tools out of a truck.. You take a guys livelyhood away.. just wrong on so any levels! (not saying you fish for a living) but you need the motor to move the boat around...

as mentioned, you were so lucky to have it turn out where it did...my only hope is the guy you got it back from doesnt get in trouble for truly not knowing where the motor cam from..(if and a big if..he didnt know)

looks like you have some work to do now..get her running!