1997 Sweetwater 20' pontoon

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at a 20' 1997 Sweetwater Pontoon. Looks clean and I only see normal wear and tear. Carpet, seats look good. I really like the layout with fishing chairs on each corner of the boat. As it sits in the water the waterline on the pontoons look real good. He wants $6700. The drawback may be the motor. I don't know why, but it has a 1967 (give or take a few years) 55hp Chrysler. I've read a few posts on here about the possibility of top cylinder running lean and melting the piston. So, is the asking price of $6700 decent???? I'm just looking for something to fish with and maybe taking a leisurely cruise with the family now and then. But mostly for comfortable fishing. I'm finding my 16' trihull a little confining.

badbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 Sweetwater 20' pontoon

well a boat is worth what someone is willing to pay.. with that being said I think the price tag of $6700 is very steep, I just bought a 1999 Bennington 2050LX which is a very high model with a 1999 mercury 90 on the back low hours original owner older couple.. and I only paid a little more than the boat you are looking at and my boat is in EXCELLENT shape no rips,tears,stains,etc

Good Luck but I think I would keep looking

Ron

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you --- I was thinking of offering $5000 due to the age of the motor.

Jeep Man

Commander

$5000 is still high and that would include a good trailer. You are right to question the boat-motor combo. Possibly the owner is keeping the good one for his next boat. Hard to find parts for that motor. Make sure it is a long shaft version or it will be useless on a pontoon boat.

badbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not sure of your area but while I was looking I looked at a 1995 Sweetwater 20Ft with a 50HP on it with a 1 yr old trailer and the guy was going to take $5000 he was asking $5800

hope this helps, but make sure you are very happy with your purchase or you will always regret it

Good Luck
Ron

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The old Chrysler is not worth anything. It probably takes away from the value of the boat. I paid $5100 for my 19 foot Forester on the trailer, new with no motor. I did have to get it from Wisconsin to PA, but I'm from that "roadtrip" generation so 1500 miles of driving in 2 days is fun to me. I paid $400 for the 50 OMC I just took off and $1000 for the current 1990 90 HP OMC.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the other posts, that's way to much money. Keep looking for a better package, they are out there.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with imuss... The Chrysler is worth nothing and will actually lower the value of the package. 4 grand max.....

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just as a market comparison, i just bought a 88 sweetwater 20 ft 'executive cruiser', which i know is allot older, but has been stored inside all these years, and is in great shape, came with a haul-rite easy loading trailer, and a mid 80s 50hp merc,and got it for 3500... there are certainly better deals out there..

Turn4fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm the person selling that boat. You forgot to mention that this is not just a used boat in decent condition, it has been completely redone top to bottom and was done right. Nearly everything is brand new on it with the exception of the motor which does run well. You've obviously been searching craigslist so you already know what kind of junk is out there right now in the $5000 - $6000 range in our area so we are priced fairly for the local market. Here's a link to the add for those of you throwing out prices without knowing anything about the boat in question.

http://stjoseph.craigslist.org/boa/1784457152.html

The tubes, frame and railing are in very good shape and are not all scarred up. When I picked it up it had no trailer or motor and the sun had taken it's toll on the interior. I stripped it completely and rebuilt from the deck up. Anything that was questionable was replaced. The floor is solid and in good shape. It has brand new Lancer Daystar carpet, a brand new console, brand new table, brand new bimini top & cover, brand new fishing seats and a brand new helm seat. The trailer has brand new tires, brand new bunks and carpet, brand new LED lights and a brand new jack. It also comes with a swim ladder, a battery, gas tank and a couple of bumpers.

I put the Chrysler motor on it simply because I already had it and knew it was a good motor. We used it on our other pontoon for the last three years before moving up to a 70 HP. It has good compression and works fine. I put new coils and plugs in it last summer and also replaced the lower unit and impeller. It is a long shaft and comes with a spare prop. I also have a complete spare power head that I could throw in if you want it, it also works. I'd also be happy to remove the motor and knock a couple hundred off the price if you'd like to find a different motor to power it with, your call.

There is some room for negotiation on our price, just don't expect to pick it up for a garage sale price. If you want to come take a look give us a call to set up a time, I've got three appointments to show it this week right now.

cuzzx

Seaman

I bought a 20ft stardust with a 115 merc. on it. $2000.

I put new seats , the floor and carpet were great.

I sold the 115 merc for $900.

Bought a 75 Mariner and put a new prop on it.$2000.

Galv, trailler with duel wheels, had to buy one tire.

I have a great pontoon that runs 26mph wot

I have less than $5000 in this pontoon and I would sale it for $5000.

I have a 18ft that runs a 75hp that I'm rebuilding

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Looking at a 20' 1997 Sweetwater Pontoon. Looks clean and I only see normal wear and tear. Carpet, seats look good. I really like the layout with fishing chairs on each corner of the boat. As it sits in the water the waterline on the pontoons look real good. He wants $6700. The drawback may be the motor. I don't know why, but it has a 1967 (give or take a few years) 55hp Chrysler. I've read a few posts on here about the possibility of top cylinder running lean and melting the piston. So, is the asking price of $6700 decent???? I'm just looking for something to fish with and maybe taking a leisurely cruise with the family now and then. But mostly for comfortable fishing. I'm finding my 16' trihull a little confining.

I would run far far away -----------------