1980 Evinrude 175 tilt/trim issue...

Daabeast

Cadet
OK,

First time poster long time reader...

I have a 1980 Evinrude 175. The motor will tilt up and down when not in the water. When I am in the water at some speed I am unable to trim up...like the trim motor doesn't have enough power to lift the engine.

I can hear the trim motor trying its best...but no luck. I checked the fluid levels via the fill plug...and i topped it off to be sure it was full...It appears full, because when i remove the plug fluid comes out.

Any ides?

And thanks in advance

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Evinrude 175 tilt/trim issue...

At speed the unit should trim the motor through the +/- 15 degrees it is designed for. After that you need to slow down when in the tilt range.

In other words when the trim rams are fully extended at speed, that's all you get until you slow down or stop the engine.

Also, if your battery is weak, trim won't work at speed either.

Daabeast

Cadet

OK,

You are right when I go very slow it will trim up some...the thing is once i begin to speed up the motor slowly lowers back down...like it wont stay trimmed up...it slowly goes back down on its own...??

Any ideas?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's often because of oil leaking past the trim pistons, sometimes because of worn trim cylinder sleeves.

Be sure to check the manual release valve and torque it to spec.

Daabeast

Cadet

That's often because of oil leaking past the trim pistons, sometimes because of worn trim cylinder sleeves.

Be sure to check the manual release valve and torque it to spec.

Are the cylinder sleeves something a novice could replace? Also, i am unsure where the manual release valve is located...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The manual release valve is located in a recessed pocket in the starboard transom bracket. It's opened a couple of turns only unless removed for inspection, in which case a clip has to be removed.

Attachments

• 1978 PT&T Manual Release.JPG
    1978 PT&T Manual Release.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you apply full power to the engine in the "tilt" range, it will normally go down till it hits the trim rams and should stay at that level until you hit the down on the trim switch to lower it further. It is possible the solenoid in the trim box is weak: not making good contact. That solenoid controls the up movement only. The down goes direct thru the switch on the throttle handle.

Daabeast

Cadet

Cool,

I will check the solenoid. But first can you tell me where the trim box is located? Sorry, I am a boating newby.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Should be a black box mounted near the motor. The wiring runs from the battery, the helm, and the PT&T.

Attachments

• 1979 PT&T solenoid.jpg
    1979 PT&T solenoid.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0

Daabeast

Cadet

I have checked everything again and all appears to be working....

One more thing,

I have a the motor on a jackplate...it seems that is all the way at the bottom of the jack plate...ie its not jacked up....could this have anything to do with why I cant trim at speed? If i where to raise the whole engine via the jackplate could that solve anything?

Also should the cavitation plate be even with the bottom of hull?

Thanks
DB

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The A/V plate should be just above and parallel with the water when the boat is on plane. The A/V plate usually has to be at least even with, or slightly higher than, the planing surface of the boat in order to do that. .