1989 85 hp Force Problems--Need Information Please

redticrunner

Recruit
Hello, Im new to this forum and really need some help. I had a bayliner boat with 1989 85 hp Force motor and trailer give to me by an older gentleman who no longer is in good enough health to deal with it. I have never worked on a Force motor before and am at a loss on what to do with it. The problem is it will turn over fine but it wont fire. I've tried 2 different kind of plugs in it and it still wont fire. I have a cd that has alot of information including wiring diagrams that we have used to trace the wiring down and found we have a neutral interlock switch that is missing one of the two connection posts it is supposed to have.. I have one ordered and hope that helps some. I was told by a few guys that it could be the CD module box, and another guy told me it could be a starter relay. I haven't checked any of those two items yet but plan to asap. If there is anyone that can give me more information on them, I would greatly appreciate it.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1989 85 hp Force Problems--Need Information Please

I don't have one but there's talk of a kill switch hooked to a lanyard.

thompy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

first you have to get the netural saftey switch replaced, or you will not have spark if a wire is off on it and in netural

crump

Cadet

I learned of a starting technique on this forum that may help. I was having trouble getting my 85hp Force to start initially.

1. Ensure kill switch is in.
2. If your boat throttle is like mine, you can pull out throttle handle to increase idle speed.
3 When turning key push in at same time, this activates choke on motor. Be ready to pull back throttle when engine starts. you should only need to choke on that initial start up for the day. still may require sometimes.
4. also make sure motor is level due to carburators when starting. Not tilted up.
Also be aware these motors are very particular. Mine usually gives me more grief than enjoyment.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes no spark results from the flywheel key shearing or the magnet on the flywheel comes un-glued.J

Trux

Cadet

I had a very similar problem last year. Spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong and finally figured out that the button on the kill switch was not all the way in. Not sure why the manufacturer bothered to put a kill switch on the controls, but now that I found it, I can deal with it.

rustykyle

Cadet

If u cant even get it to pop or spit then u should buy a new stator for 175 bucks.let me know what happens after the coil.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Before you start buying parts figure out what's wrong.J

cbarger

Cadet

I am having the same issue with my 89 Force 85. I was on the lake last night, I notice that all of sudden my tach, gas and voltage gauges all went dead. So I pulled into a marina and check the fuses. I then tried to start my engine and the starter would even turn as if the battery was dead. So I replaced the bad fuse and it would turn but just not fire. Anyone have any ideas? There is plenty gas getting to the engine.

catsnjags

Recruit

Check your flywheel key. I have a 98 force 75 and the key mysteriously sheared. No kickback or anything... just went. It was driving me nuts that the engine wouldn't fire. Checked spark, compression, fuel, etc. No luck. Pulled flywheel and the key was sheared. I'm going to open a new topic because now, the keys just keep shearing. Never heard of that.

john from md

Commander

The first place to go it the maintenance forum FAQ. Look for the thread on waking a sleeping engine. You will have to troubleshoot by the process of elimination. You need to check each component from the ignition switch to t he plugs to see if it is functional in order to determine what is at fault.

The CD manuals are not as good as a Clymer Force Outboard Shop Manual. If you decide to keep the boat, I suggest buying the manual.

John