High altitude set up ????

summitwhaler

Cadet
Does anyone have first hand experience with high altitude set up. i.e. props and carb set up.

I have a 1982 evinrude 35hp on a 13' whaler. Im running it at 8000'-9000'.
My local dealer is a nice guy but doesnt have much advise.

Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: High altitude set up ????

Your going to be down 25 to 30% in power due to altitude and carb needs to be re-jetted. You will probably need a low prop pitch as well. Pitch is determined empirically by trial and error, but a decent dealer can suggest a starting point. Family used to own a shop at 6800' MSL and did lots of re-jetting. That's it.

summitwhaler

Cadet

Thanks for the info.
Any idea on what size jets I would need?? Same goes for the prop.

How does one rig up a tach on this thing. I have no idea of rpms. Changeing out different size props would be some expensive trial and error.

thanks

summitwhaler

Cadet

Thanks ezeke.

What is. SB 2217, pg 4 . forgive my ignorance.

Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Does your control unit have a three pin plug?

If so, tach connection is plug in using a harness available from any BRP Evinrude dealer. See right hand side of attached ignition sw drawing.

An alternate tach is TinyTach, which is very simple to install.

Attachments

• OMC Ignition sw overallSwitch.jpg
    OMC Ignition sw overallSwitch.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's the service bulletin that tells you what jets to change at your elevation.

summitwhaler

Cadet

Thanks guys.
I do have a 3 pin plug. Im guessing a tach is pretty important.

Where do I find the service bulletins ?

I have a OEM manual and a carb repair kit coming in the mail. I will order a new high speed jet.

Thanks for the info. I am new to boating but getting out on the water sure is a blast!

summitwhaler

Cadet

OK.
SO I got my OEM manual and a carb rebuild kit. I have the carb all removed.
I cannot seem to undo the 1 screw that hold down the leaf plate. Should I do whatever it takes to get that sucker out or ??? well, any ideas??
Also, is it imperative to have the special float positioning tool or is holding the float body level and eyballing the float, level, good enough?

Thanks

Say I hope this helps someone looking to adjust for high altitude.
To get perhaps a slight amount of power back and to reduce excess smoking and fuel use and engine bogging if still set to sea level from the factory.
Here I've attached some of the pages from the high altitude OMC 2217 bulletin people refer to look at. It doesn't seem to readily available...
The only pages I have that someone shared a few years ago for my 1980 CS 140 Evinrude. The intermediate in mine (probably from the factory) is 29M.

My low-idle jets have air passing through them to control the air fuel mixture. This is why larger jet sizes for my low circuit actually leans the fuel mixture.
Some say that the ethanol in our modern gas makes it slightly leaner.
If true, I suppose perhaps this chart's recommended jet sizes should be adjusted by one size for our 10% ethanol gas.
I live at 6,000 ft and use my boat at 5,000 ft. I bought the orifice-jets I needed on e-bay for about $6 each.
Don't go too lean or for the idle circuit, you'll get the idle lean sneezing and for the high circuit you could burn up your pistons-ruin engine.
Oddly, no-one seems to recommend increasing the timing advance by 1/2+ a degree for every 1,000 feet elevation for high altitude like they do for 4 cycle engines. Evidently it's hard to tell with these 2 cycles if they are set too high experiencing knocking till it's too late and the engine is damaged. It kind of scares me that these engines rev so high at full speed. I'm just happy to have rejetted to reduce excess smoking and fumes.
Take care and let's keep our old 2 cycle running respectably!

Jim

Attachments

• Boat Motor OMC orfice high altitude chart - All pages together.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 8