2000 larson 176 sei

jjt98

Seaman
I'm looking at buying a 2000 LARSON 176 SEI with a 4.3L Volvo Pinta. Anything special about these boats I need to know about? Do they have wood in them or are they all fiberglass? What about the Volvo Pinta engine? Anything to worry about there? I'm not real formiliar with Volvos. Mostly Mercruisers around here.

The boat will be used for water sports (skiing and tubing) on a small private lake.

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2000 larson 176 sei

Small boat but fine (I have a SEI 180). The 2000 model has the EF engine (charcoal color). It is reliable and certainly has enough power for tubing skiing etc..

Afaik the 2000 floors are still wood, I've heard they started fiberglassing in 2001 but mine (2001) is still wood, so check for soft spots. I know because I have them right around the ski locker and right at the rear bench.

Also check that the boat takes on no water! A water test is a must. Make sure that you start with a dry bilge, after the water test before you pull the plug check the ski locker, if it's wet the boat takes on water. And obviously when you pull the plug it should be dry also.

Good luck :)

Roland

jjt98

Seaman

By EF do you mean electronic fuel injection? Is that standard with all the 2000 4.3s? What is the horsepower of that engine?

daymienrules

Cadet

boat should have wood deck on top of foam-filled fiberglass stringers. motor mounts are wood as well.

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By EF do you mean electronic fuel injection? Is that standard with all the 2000 4.3s? What is the horsepower of that engine?

EF is the engine number, mine says PEFS and P stands for Power Steering and S for something else (forgot). This should be the standard. EF has nothing to do with fuel injection, the engines are carburated. I think it has around 190hp. All the manuals are in the Adults Only section of the Mercruiser/OMC/Volvo Forum, that's where I have my information from and from looking around and tinkering :)

What's the asking price for the boat?

jjt98

Seaman

Thanks. I got excited there for a minute when I thought EF was electronic fuel injection.

Asking price is $8500. What do your think? Good deal or a bit high?

dhook

Cadet

Thanks. I got excited there for a minute when I thought EF was electronic fuel injection.

Hard to say..Guess it depends alot on the area. Here in Tn I purchased a 2005 180 sei for 11K. I had to drive 3 hours to pick it up but I had been searching for about 3 mo's before I came across what I thought was a good deal.

Runs like a top and I am very happy with it. Has a little dock rash on the graphics but besides that it looked new. Plenty of storage, 4.3 Merc so plenty of power for whatever your into.

Mine planes out between 18 -20 MPH and does 44 mph WOT with a full tank and me and the wife (Screaming slow down) aboard. Being a new boater I was somewhat surprised though at how hard small boats bang on the surface when hitting waves. Just something you can compare it too.

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Too high. At that rate I should start exporting boats from California :).

I paid 6500 for a 2001 180 SEI last year. In mid season, i.e. July, mind you. 8500 is close to what the PO payed for it new... No idea how the market looks like in TN and surroundings but you might bring cash and pull it for 6500? Never hurts to try.

Good luck

daymienrules

Cadet

8500 sounds high. Paid 6500 for 1999 176sei last memorial day. Boat was in really great shape too.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I agree the price is high for what is an ultra entry level bowrider. That is from the pre VEC era of manufacturing so will have wood. Wood is actually a good thing in a boat but unfortunatly can rot from neglegent owners. The upshot is that it has the Volvo engine and Penta outdrive and is the optional v6. I like Mercruiser engines but it seems universally accepted that the volvo outdrive is superior to the Alpha 1. Even looking at the Penta it is larger and more robust. They had fuel injection then and a couple years later was upgraded to MPI. I'd bet just about anything it has a carb. I'd be very happy with a carbed v6 in that light of a boat but all that said it is a 10 year old, non premium brand boat. Even if it was in perfect condition, I'd expect to pay a good bit less than the asking price.