200 hp V6 evinrude VRO

Richiekramer

Cadet
Ok so my boat is tempermental to start and stay running. i delt with it for a year now. Well yesterday i drove out to my fishing spot with no problem. we started the boat to head back to the dock and when i hit the throttle full blast it wouldnt plane out and woudnt go over 5mph. it seemed like it wasnt getting the right amount of fuel. it was always funny with idling. but never nothing lke this. i puled al the new sparkplug and checked them all. they are all fireing fine. what coud possiblely be the problem. i really need help with this......

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 200 hp V6 evinrude VRO

check all filters and fuel connections, also test fuel pump. did it help if you pumped the bulb??

Richiekramer

Cadet

no pumping the bowl didnt help. i am really starting to think its the vro pump. it starts and runs perfect outta the water. as soon as a get in the water and hammer it to go it just goes 5 mph and sounds like its fighting to run.
we pulled the fuel filter out and its clean. we were able to blow right through it. i thought it was a sprk problem so we pulled all the spark plugs and checked for spark. everything is fireing. at one point yesterday while i was on the water we lowered the motor to test it with the cover off and it all of a sudden had the power it is supposed to. we stopped put the cover on and tried again and it just dogged out again. this is driving me crazy. anyone wanna buy a boat lol

SparkieBoat

Captain

I do not think you have a fuel problem..but you test the VRO pump by removing all spark plugs, pumping bulb till you get fuel then cranking engine, fuel should come in in fairly strong spurts. Sounds like maybe your cowl is pinching or grounding out a coil, check for the latch possibly grounding out bottom coil especially on the left side facing rear of motor. you need to get a spark gap tester and test spark on each cylinder. if pumping the bulb did not help it is most likely not fuel related.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

I do not think you have a fuel problem..but you test the VRO pump by removing all spark plugs, pumping bulb till you get fuel then cranking engine, fuel should come in in fairly strong spurts. Sounds like maybe your cowl is pinching or grounding out a coil, check for the latch possibly grounding out bottom coil especially on the left side facing rear of motor. you need to get a spark gap tester and test spark on each cylinder. if pumping the bulb did not help it is most likely not fuel related.

I think Sparkie's on to something here. I had a similar problem, and it turned out that when I put the cowl on it was pulling on one of the sparkplug wires and only firing on 3 cylinders. Check those too. I ended up replacing the wires and routing them away from the cowl latches. Real easy to overlook that problem IMO.

rattlin

Cadet

at one point yesterday while i was on the water we lowered the motor to test it with the cover off and it all of a sudden had the power it is supposed to.

When running with cover off, do you mean you were running in gear and under load? Probably a reach here, but something could be binding in your gearbox.

Richiekramer

Cadet

ok it has had a problem starting since i got it. it always started and ran though. i took the cover off the carbs and found alot of gas in there. then i tried to start it with the cover off and it was shooting fuel out of the carbs!! Is this normal? it seemed like alot of fuel coming out. is there a fuel regulator or something that might be going bad?

SparkieBoat

Captain

you are in need of a carb cleaning/rebuild..your needle valve is stuck

Richiekramer

Cadet

I was thinking the same thing. its coming out in drops not a spray

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

howdey from tennessee. I just found 3 of 6 main jets loose in my 150. 1 was backed all the way out. got dark so the other 3 0n port side will get inspection tomorrow..... just a thought. mine was real hard to start... too much fuel...again just a thought

Yup, all 6 main jets were loose??????!!!!! I think there is a kit to fix it.
Also ALL carb bowls are warped....... durn plastic..... I surface ground mine back flat, but won't be able to do it again.......I WANT METAL BOWLS:)
Oh yea....about every screw that is in plastic was LOOSE!! flywheel cover as well as carbs. If a fastener is in plastic ill give you odds it's LOOSE......
The plastic bends over time as this is the first carb job the motor needed so if the screws were too tight, the factory did it

Last edited: