Jet vs. IO pros & cons?

superbenk

Commander
I've been toying with the idea of a jet boat instead of an IO for my next boat. Thing is, I really don't know anything about jet boats other than the fact that you don't have a prop & outdrive hanging down to hit stuff. Are there other major pros/cons to jet boats over IO? What is the biggest differences I would expect to find in a jet compared to an IO? I've seen other threads that suggest maint on a jet is different, but about the same in the end as an IO (ie, I shouldn't expect a jet to be significantly less maint), is that true? I tend to do all my own work, how are jets for DIY'ers vs. IOs?

thompy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Jet vs. IO pros & cons?

jets are hard to steer at low speed, they turn and accelerate faster and better, at speeds. suck up more gas, and take more HP to get the same speeds as a i/o or outboard, but they are really cool, i/o are more efficient but also more costly if the need repairs

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

first, what kind of jet drive? big block connected to a berkeley or a sportjet/yamaha/seadoo type setup?

the bad: somewhat higher fuel consumption. Don't believe everything you hear, outboard jets are the worst, 30% compared to a prop. Inboard jets are substantially better.

the good: much lower part count/complexity. no transmission or shifting gears. Easier maintenance in most cases compared to an inboard engine. Vastly better handling once you learn how to drive a jet. (its different, a little tougher but once you get the hang of it you can do things in a jet that are 100% impossible in a prop craft) Don't let anyone tell you they handle worse at low speed, they just take more skill. Once you have it down they will run circles around a prop boat at any speed.

There are all kinds of other things in the good category I'm leaving out, but search around on here...

Costly? In which way? Fuel is certainly going to cost you more. Maintenance will be less. I've owned numerous jets, I use them on a river that has frequent sand bars, and its nice to skim over the top while other people are pushing. (more or less if I can see water I can drive there, draft while running is 2 or 3 inches max) If i didn't have that specific need, I probably wouldn't have a jet.

oldjeep

Admiral

Just don't beach a jet with the motor running. The sand eats the impeller and the bore of the jet which causes cavitation and lack of power.

We had a 21 ft beaman jet boat - 454 with a berkley drive and the only real big issue it had that an I/O boat does not is that they do not back up worth a crap.

superbenk

Commander

first, what kind of jet drive? big block connected to a berkeley or a sportjet/yamaha/seadoo type setup?

I was comparing the sport type (18-21 ft.) with comparable length IO (bowrider/cuddy).

The mixed comments about slow-speed handling concern me. We often find ourselves meandering in the no-wake zones of inlets and coves.

Simpler maint. definitely appeals to me (I'm getting tired of futzing around with a 30 yr old boat, so I'm probably jaded).

cribber

Lieutenant

Either has their purpose and it all depends on how you're going to use it. You need power in skinny water with a lot of people... jet drive is the way to go. Pulling tubes, skiers, etc with a group... you want something propeller driven. Just get the power you need for what you want to do.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They handle just fine at slow speeds, they don't handle at all with the engine off.

There is a learning curve but tooling around at slow speeds is just fine. You also don't have to worry about running your prop in the bottom in shallow channels.

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use to be the head of a Yamaha Dealerships watercraft department. I'm a very big fan of their jetboats and engines. I also currently own an older 18.5' I/O. With that said, my next boat will most likely be Yams 23' SX230. I've caught flack on this site for saying that before. I've noticed that most on here are anti jetboat. Maybe I'm either biased or they're not too familiar with Yamaha's product?

From my experience with Yams, and from what I've read about I/Os in that size, Yams 23' jetboats (4 stroke engines) will be better or at least comparable on gas than a comparable 23' I/O. The maintenance is much much less labor intensive, there are less life limited parts to replace, and you can operate in shallower water and not fear about ripping a sterndrive off. There is also no exposed prop to worry about cutting anyone. I also like the idea of having a second engine.

The downside is that they often do not create much of a wake (if you're into wakeboarding) and they are trickier (just takes practice) to handle at low speeds and docking. Although, they make Cobra fins that are like rudders which make this a non event for beginners. The older jetboats with 2 stroke engines are definitely big gas guzzlers.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I'd never own one.

And I wish that I did...!

I learned just how much I did want one, the first time that I took my I/O to a bay that I have explored every inch of with my jet ski. I couldn't even get out to the Gulf with my bowrider...and ran aground (soft) every path I tried.

I play the Lottery with this in mind!

Happy boating!

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've owned 2 jetskis...... The second they get anything in their pumps.....it's all down hill.

Their reverse linkage is a pain as well.

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've owned 2 jetskis...... The second they get anything in their pumps.....it's all down hill.

Their reverse linkage is a pain as well.

What do you own? I've owned 8 pwc over the years (most yams, 50/50 stand ups vs sit downs). I rarely had issues with getting anything in the pump and I never had an issue with the reverse on the one that I owned that had reverse. The only problems I've ever seen with the linkage cable were issues due to neglect and corrosion.

The Yam jetboats have plugs that give you access to the pumps to pull anything out that might get sucked up. It's pretty simple on a jetboat vs a pwc.

oldjeep

Admiral

The Yam jetboats have plugs that give you access to the pumps to pull anything out that might get sucked up. It's pretty simple on a jetboat vs a pwc.

Funny you mention the plugs. My co worker has a dual engine Yamaha boat (2 stroke) and it loves to fire those plugs out all on its own.

Maybe he just has bad luck, but his boat has been a mechanical nightmare since he bought it. Bad tachs, bad coil modules, blown oil injection lines.

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny you mention the plugs. My co worker has a dual engine Yamaha boat (2 stroke) and it loves to fire those plugs out all on its own.

They make plug kits that are extremely cheap that lock them in place.

karatejoe

Seaman

I have an I/o. I must travel thru the canals to reach the Gulf. At low tide my canal is impassible for my boat. I need 3.2 ft of water. At low tide our canals get as low as 1.5 ft. I found this out the hard way by ruining a lower pump and a prop. My boat is now up for sale and Im getting a jet boat to eliminate worrying about water level.

Bondo

Staff member

I have an I/o. I must travel thru the canals to reach the Gulf. At low tide my canal is impassible for my boat. I need 3.2 ft of water. At low tide our canals get as low as 1.5 ft. I found this out the hard way by ruining a lower pump and a prop. My boat is now up for sale and Im getting a jet boat to eliminate worrying about water level.

Ayuh,... If there's Weeds in that canal, you Ain't gonna be Happy...

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

In my opinion, Jet boats will out-maneuver any prop driven boat at any speed. Low speed just takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it they handle incredibly well. I can turn mine 360 degrees within it's own length. I can also move it directly sideways (either direction).

As far as weeds are concerned, the lake I boat on has many "weed filled" channels and I have been down most all of them with my jet boat. Even the ones with very skinny water (18"). I've never had any problem with sucking up weeds. It may also be worthy of noting I have a 215 HP Supercharged engine that sucks water hard. Still, no issues. I did however suck up a ski line once. I don't know why someone would just leave it out in the water like that (there were NO other boats around). At any rate it was fairly easy to clear.

Now, having said all that, I would not own a jet boat if I was limited to one boat.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Why do you say that?

One, and only one, reason. I am an inboard guy. I just love them. Check my sig and you'll see I have a 1974 Century Resorter. (There are pics of all my boats in one of the "show your boat" threads). I grew up with an inboard and maybe that has something to do with it. I also have a 25' pontoon. Honestly, I spend more time on the pontoon than any other boat. At one point, I had a couple of jet skis and enjoyed the heck out of them. But.... I tricked out the engines (2 stroke) and they were very fast but after a few years became maintenance headaches. Had to rebuild them every year. When I got rid of them, I still wanted a "toy" to have fun with. The jet boat fits that bill very well. It will do 60 (GPS, not the dream-o-meter) all day long, seats 4 and is generally a blast. Keep in mind, my jet boat is the small Seadoo Speedster (15 ft.) I am sure the larger jet boats offer a lot more comfort and would do very well as a primary boat.

Do NOT avoid jet boats because you hear they handle poorly. As I said in my previous post, they handle BETTER than any prop driven boat. The sucking up weeds thing MIGHT be an issue, but I have found that it hasn't been so far. And like I said, they're pretty easy to clear out.

superbenk

Commander

Could a larger (18-21 ft) jet fullfill all the typical usage a comparable bowrider would? What I mean is, would you consider a jet of that size to be a decent multipurpose boat like a bowrider would be?

Also, how do jets hold up to salt compared to IOs?