91 Johnson Won't Start

Ray Scearce

Recruit
I'm trying to get ready for the holiday weekend and my 150 turns over but will not fire. It is a 91 Johnson 60' Loop Model. I noticed it started to smoke a little more than usual towards the end of last season and I didn't take the best care of it over the winter. Anyway, I suspected the fuel so I tried fresh fuel through external with same outcome. I rebuilt all of the carbs. Still not starting. Cleaned all of my plugs. Still nothing. I sprayed starter fluid through the carbs and it will fire so i'm still thinking it's a fuel issue. I checked my compression and all 6 cylinders are between 90 and 95 so I'm happy with that. What would be the next step? My manuals testing procedures all call for "running" tests. That's hard to do when it won't start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post and I'm hoping for the best.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 91 Johnson Won't Start

Your motor gets its lubricating oil from the fuel. Starter fluid has no lubricating qualities. If you wouldn't run your motor without oil, don't run it on starting fluid.

next step is a spark test, using an inline tester with the gap set at 7/16"

why did you "clean the plugs" -- what did they look like?