another thread about bottom paint removal

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
First, let me say I've researched this a ton.

Anyway, my 1993 Larson has bottom paint and I hate it. I've been researching methods of removal for months. It seems that the best thing for me to try is going to be a chemical stripper. I will not be paying someone else to do the job.

Im the second owner and the first owner had it painted by a marina and they did a half-assed job (which might actually help with the removal). The surface was not sanded prior to applying the barrier coat. There are some spots on the bottom and on the transom where the paint has come off and its like a brand new gel-coat under there.

The paint is green, I can run my hand over it and it will literally turn green. The paint is chalky and the surface rubs off. The rollers on my trailer have actually turned green with this chalky mess also. I grabbed my pressure washer and went after one spot (about 6"x6") on the hull. With a pressure washer I can actually take all the bottom paint off right down to the barrier coat, which is a goldish color. It takes some time and I have to be real close but it will actually take the paint right off. Does this sound right to you guys? Its just a residential gas pressure washer, 2300 PSI I think.

I was going to try and use kleanstrip's fiberglass aircraft stripper on the paint, but im wondering if I might be better off pressure washing the whole hull down to the barrier coat before trying a chemical stripper? Im guessing I could pressure wash the whole hull down to the barrier coat in about 6 hours. Its a 17 foot boat. Any opinions?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: another thread about bottom paint removal

Pressure wash is the best way to go, IMHO. Strippers are a drag to use and make a real mess, and will take 7 hours or more of "dog work".

I am surprized that there is a barrior coat on that boat. I am more surprized that the bottom paint is peeling from the barrier coat, or is it that where the bare spots are, there is no barrier coat either?

You may be able to touch up the barrier coat, and make it look acceptable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have Ablative or ?sloughing? paint on the hull. The paint is designed to slowly errode a way exposing new paint in the process. Very easy to rub it off ablative paint by hand. The barrier application may very well be OK, the paint may just be worn out.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

Pressure wash is the best way to go, IMHO. Strippers are a drag to use and make a real mess, and will take 7 hours or more of "dog work".

I am surprized that there is a barrior coat on that boat. I am more surprized that the bottom paint is peeling from the barrier coat, or is it that where the bare spots are, there is no barrier coat either?

You may be able to touch up the barrier coat, and make it look acceptable.

The bare spots are where the bottom paint and barrier coat have peeled from the gel-coat. The gelcoat looks great in those spots so im reasonably sure they didnt scuff the surface prior to applying the barrier coat.

The goal is to remove all the bottom paint and barrier coat since I dont slip the boat. It never really should have even been painted. The previous owner was an old man and the crooks at a shady marina convinced him he needed bottom paint to slip the boat for one season in a fresh water river. Then they did a bad job on the paint. The barrier coat is an ugly goldish color and its on a white and green boat...

Sounds like you have Ablative or ?sloughing? paint on the hull. The paint is designed to slowly errode a way exposing new paint in the process. Very easy to rub it off ablative paint by hand. The barrier application may very well be OK, the paint may just be worn out.

The barrier coat may be just fine, its missing in a few spots on the bottom of the hull, but the area I hit with the pressure washer it didnt come close to removing! I want the barrier coat off too.

Im mainly wondering if it will be worth it spending the time to remove all the antifouling paint with a pressure washer if I still have to use a stripper on the barrier coat.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would. AF paints are typically real nasty stuff. Id get it off in water and gone rather than risk breathing it. Then find out the best way to remove the barrier coat, which isnt designed to kill things

My .02,
Terry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Barrier paint is usually epoxy-based. It may not come off with a stripper. Would you consider stripping the Bottom paint, and then applying a polyurethane marine paint, for appearance?

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

Barrier paint is usually epoxy-based. It may not come off with a stripper. Would you consider stripping the Bottom paint, and then applying a polyurethane marine paint, for appearance?

I will do that if I can't get the hull to look decent from stripping it, or if the barrier coat wont come off. Like I said before, the barrier coat appears to be a goldish color, which will look terrible on a white and green boat.

I've already looked into some different marine paints just for this reason. I'm a little concerned about how it will look since I wont be able to spray it on and would use a roller or brush only.

At this point my plain is to pressure wash the transom to get all the antifouling paint off from there, then use some klean-strips's fiberglass aircraft stripper on the barrier coat. If it refuses to come off then I know this will be a project for after boating season and I'll leave the rest of it alone.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

Heres what it looks like with the bottom paint:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF23360-small.JPG
    DSCF23360-small.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you cannot spray the marine paint, try the roll and tip method. It works very well. It will be best to block up the boat, off the trailer, so you can more easily strip and paint the bottom.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

Im beginning to think that the best thing to do will just to pressure wash all the antifouling paint from the hull, which will leave the goldish color barrier coat. Then give that a little sanding to rough up the surface and repaint over that with a non-antifouling hull paint.

I was thinking about using this, but im not sure if it would have a problem being painted over-top of the barrier coat that is already there.

http://www.iboats.com/Brightside-re...3798291--**********.367473088--view_id.165959

I know its considered topside paint but its fine for below the waterline hull on boats that are not slipped for more than a few weeks.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

I think this is the route I will take, see above.

Skizzm

Recruit

There is a product called "DeFoul" by a company in Vancouver BC. there is a Youtube video as well under anitfouling removal. You spray it on, wait overnight, and pressure wash off. If you have multi layers, you may need to scrape off excess paint as it may clog up the marina's system, but it comes off right to the gelcoat. Amazing stuff. Non Toxic as well!!!