Trailering a Pontoon

waterman2

Recruit
I am thinking about buying a pontoon. I plan on taking it to multiple locations and was wondering if there are any drawbacks to trailering the boat. I was surprised to see that most pontoons are sold without trailers.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Waterman2

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailering a Pontoon

I trailered a 25' Pontoon for 8 years.

A couple of words of wisdom,

Get a bunk trailer, the other style (scissor) are not made for any distance.
Check your bearing often, smaller tires mean much more work on the bearings.
Be careful pulling into gas stations, tight turns etc.

Enjoy, Pontoons are a great boat.

oldjeep

Admiral

X2 bunk trailer only. Scissor trailers are scary on the open road and exciting things can happen on sharp turns.

CATransplant

Admiral

Agree. Bunk trailers only if you're going to be trailering often. I watched a guy going down the freeway at 75 mph with one of those scissors trailers and a huge pontoon on it. I passed him quickly on a straightaway and put some distance between us, then slowed back down to 75. An accident waiting to happen.

If I were towing that rig, I'd be going a heckuva lot slower than that, and probably looking for a back way to get where I was going. Scary.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My party barge lives on a trailer in my back yard and I tow it to different lakes within an hour of my house with a full size GMC pickup. I have no problems. I echo the others regarding trailer style, though. Bunk is the only way to go. Also, on anything over 20' properly maintained trailer brakes are a must. Follow these recommendations and as long as your tow vehicle is up to the task you'll be fine. Incidentally, the scarcity of trailers is due to the fact that most people with barges 24' and longer buy them and have them delivered to a slip because they have no intention of towing them. That's the case around here any way. I have additional thoughts if you're interested, but I've already become long-winded enough, so if you want to be bored further you'll have to ask:D.

Bowser4x4

Seaman

As all of the others have said: bunk trailer is a must. The only other suggestion is to watch the wind. A pontoon is not a heavy boat, has a lot of "sail" area, and it gets interesting trailering it with a good cross wind.

Woof
Bowser

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Well I guess I will have to disagree with the "no sissor trailer" crowd. Having used both there is nothing wrong with a sissor trailer provided you understand it's limitations. I currently have a bunk trailer for my pontoon and if you have to launch in shallow water it is a pain in the backside. How far you intend to travel, how fast you intend to travel and most important the quality of the sissor trailer is key to its performance. There are some real cheap trailers out their that when raised are simply too flimsy and hence look like they will roller over. A good sissor trailer is actually quite stable because of the lower center of gravity. Yes -- the CG is lower on sissor trailer. Yes it has a narrower track width but that is an issue only if one does a very sharp swerve. I have traveled many hundreds of thousands of miles and have never seen a sissor trailer accident. But I have seen several bunk trailer accidents. If those trailers were as dangerous as this forum tends to make them our government would have them outlawed and insurance companies would not insure them. Buy what suits your needs. The only reason I currently have a bunk style is the tongue design allows quick removal allowing the pontoon to reside in may garage. The sissor trailer would also have eliminated the need to have a taller garage door installed (remember the lower CG).

oldjeep

Admiral

I've seen the results of several sissor trailer accidents and they were all the same. Truck rounding corner (maybe too fast), pontoon hitting pavement - various degrees of destruction after that.

Just for grins, here's a good visual why having the trailer wheels inboard of so much weight can cause problems.
http://www.lakenewsonline.com/news/x968911231/Traffic-diverted-around-boat-trailer-accident

g12c0000000000000004742907537ccd550975d3de0fda96341cdc43693.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You made my point. Driver error! Did anyone notice there were no stern tie downs on this rig. Use the trailer properly and this stuff doesn't happen.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You made my point. Driver error! Did anyone notice there were no stern tie downs on this rig. Use the trailer properly and this stuff doesn't happen.
Funny you should mention rear tiedowns. I've never seen them on a trailered pontoon until the other day on my buddy's rig, which is comparable to mine. I asked one of the local marine dealers if I needed them. I was told that they aren't really necessary because if the boat starts to go the trailer will most likely go with it.:eek: +1 regarding using the equipment correctly and exercising the utmost care though. So many things can happen.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Well I guess I will have to disagree with the "no sissor trailer" crowd. Having used both there is nothing wrong with a sissor trailer provided you understand it's limitations. I currently have a bunk trailer for my pontoon and if you have to launch in shallow water it is a pain in the backside. How far you intend to travel, how fast you intend to travel and most important the quality of the sissor trailer is key to its performance. There are some real cheap trailers out their that when raised are simply too flimsy and hence look like they will roller over. A good sissor trailer is actually quite stable because of the lower center of gravity. Yes -- the CG is lower on sissor trailer. Yes it has a narrower track width but that is an issue only if one does a very sharp swerve. I have traveled many hundreds of thousands of miles and have never seen a sissor trailer accident. But I have seen several bunk trailer accidents. If those trailers were as dangerous as this forum tends to make them our government would have them outlawed and insurance companies would not insure them. Buy what suits your needs. The only reason I currently have a bunk style is the tongue design allows quick removal allowing the pontoon to reside in may garage. The sissor trailer would also have eliminated the need to have a taller garage door installed (remember the lower CG).

Add me to the minority (so far) :rolleyes:
I just made a 200mi trip with my 20' Suntracker on a scissor lift trailer - Of course i drove senseable ;) Personally i like the boat setting lower & having less width--- JMO

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Funny you should mention rear tiedowns. I've never seen them on a trailered pontoon until the other day on my buddy's rig, which is comparable to mine. I asked one of the local marine dealers if I needed them. I was told that they aren't really necessary because if the boat starts to go the trailer will most likely go with it.:eek: +1 regarding using the equipment correctly and exercising the utmost care though. So many things can happen.

'24 Starcraft pontoon on a dual axle bunk trailer. I also have rear tiedowns.

We tow several times a year to Ontario Canada which is 340 miles one way. Due to the 10" tires, I keep my speed to 70 or below. ( smaller tires rotate more times per mile which increases wheel bearing speed)

tjl76evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i frequently tow my buddies 21' sun tracker. after getting used to it, it tows and launches/loads very easy. i do it by myself most of the time.

this is on a bunk trailer.