Alpha Gen 2 gear oil leak coming out pee hole

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gear oil coming out the pee hole, so I took the lower unit off and can see the driveshaft covered in gear oil, and it looks like maybe a bad seal in the upper coupling. Is that something I can fix or is that a job left to the pros?

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha Gen 2 gear oil leak coming out pee hole

Nobody got anything?:confused:

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you done anything recently to the drive? Which is the pee hole on the gen II? How is the drive oriented when you get the leak?

EAVES

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you havent ever disassembled an Alpha Gen 2 then I would let someone else relplace the seal if you dont have the tools ...

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi
is this a very small hole on the leading edge of the outdrive. the oil from my ger oil monitor seems to be leaking out of the drive and it seems to be coming from somewhere on the leading edge of the drive, and although i have not really checked it properly it looks like it has a fine hole somewhere there. this only happens on my starboard drive.
thanks
P :)

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's actually my buddies boat, it's a Gen 2 and it's got pee holes on both sides of the lower unit, gear oil coming out of both holes. It's definitely coming from the upper coupler so must be a seal up in there that needs replacing. Just wondering if that is an easy fix, but I can see in order to get to it, the upper drive shaft and everything else in the upper needs to be taken out. I recommended he take it in somewhere to have it fixed. Left him on his own yesterday so I don't know how far he got with the rest of his problems, gimbal and bellows replacement, and a few other minor issues. He and his Dad might have started in on taking apart the upper which I'm not too sure was a good idea...

cr2k

Captain

The very small hole on the leading edge of the drive is the speedo pick up.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so that explains y my spedo no longer works either. guess i need to check that out it seems like i have the two tubes mixed up some how, if that is possible. sorry to be asking in someone elses thread, but thought it was the same problem. but is that possible??? :confused:

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, the oil is NOT coming out of the tiny speedo hole, it is coming out of the two larger holse on both sides of the lower unit.