Tilt/Trim leak

sdsferraro

Recruit
I have an 87 Jonhnson VRO. The hose leading into the right side cylinder is leaking at the connection. I have tried tightening it but did not work. I was going to take it off to examie the threads and replace if needed, but the space to turn the wrench is really tight. I took me moving the flare nut wrench aabout 8 times to get the fitting to move one revolution. Is there an easier way to get at these fitting that I am missing?:confused:

Thanks,
Danny

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Tilt/Trim leak

"I have an 87 Jonhnson VRO."

87 VRO ? what?
What engine?

But the short answer might be you need a hoist to pull the outboard off the transom, remove the bracket and disassemble if you can't slip a ratchet wrench in there. If you get it unscrewed , will it come out?

sdsferraro

Recruit

Sorry, thought I posted it. It is 50hp. This my first boat. It is a 20' pontoon. with te new new springs on the trailer, the skag of the motor sits about 30" off the ground. The frame of the trailer hangs about the same height. How important is it fo the tilt to work?

Thanks again,
Danny

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Tilt is used while underway on the water. Not just for trailering. Never owned a toon but I would suspect it's rarely used. On a regular hull tilt is used all the time.

jonesg

Admiral

Sorry, thought I posted it. It is 50hp. This my first boat. It is a 20' pontoon. with te new new springs on the trailer, the skag of the motor sits about 30" off the ground. The frame of the trailer hangs about the same height. How important is it fo the tilt to work?

Thanks again,
Danny

the problem will be fluid leaking out and water getting in will terminate it.
A 50 hp isn't that heavy, try a rope pulley over a tree branch or something.
Its probably a bit high for an engine hoist anyway.
I would highly recommend buying the factory service manual.
www.outboardbooks.com