open bow vs cuddy?

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: open bow vs cuddy?

It's all a matter of personal preference, but I have found the smaller cuddies get really crowded with any more than 4 people. I prefer the open bow as it allows much more room to have a larger group, meaning any more than 4 people, without feeling crowded. It also seems to be everyones favorite seat in the boat. I would never own anything but an open bow, but how you will use your boat will weigh heavily into your decision.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have any kids or anything so chances are it would be just me, my g/f and another couple or 2.

ask your girlfriend if shes cool peeing and changing outside. try getting "romantic" with her out in the wide open. ask her if shes havin fun when shes soaked and cold cause the weather changed quick. granted 19 foot cuddys are probly very cramped, but my 23 footer has plenty of room. shes got a 350 and plains out in seconds. hits 40 mph and then some easy. and holds 6 comfortable while cruising or chillin.

hostage

Lieutenant

some additional points I remember when I would ride in a open bow, either you had 1 person up front sitting in front of the passenger. I remember who ever was driving couldn't see if someone sat in front of the driver. At the same time if we had a tube i think we would put it in the front to get it out of the way

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

At the same time if we had a tube i think we would put it in the front to get it out of the way

i bungie my tube on the bow to the railing i have

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

some additional points I remember when I would ride in a open bow, either you had 1 person up front sitting in front of the passenger. I remember who ever was driving couldn't see if someone sat in front of the driver.

2 things in response to passengers obstructing view:

1. I generally stand while I drive, I get a better lookout and visibility, use the good ole sea legs for support and "shock absorbtion".

2. They now make "booster" captain seats to mitigate the visibility problem for people that do sit.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

1. I generally stand while I drive, I get a better lookout and visibility, use the good ole sea legs for support and "shock absorbtion".

2. They now make "booster" captain seats to mitigate the visibility problem for people that do sit.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to see the water over the windshield, rather than thru it. My boat has a bolster that swings up and you can sit on top of that.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use my "bolster" too and often times stand to get a clearer view of the water ahead, especially when the lake is crowded. Only downside when above the windscreen at speed is.......have lost a few hats!

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I have had 4 adults and 3 kids several times on my 21 foot cuddy I don't really have a problem with it being cramped because normally we are stopped swiming or tubing because that is all the kids ever want to do. I could not decide between a cuddy or a open bow. I went cuddy all the dry space is great the privacy is their with the close of the door. I will proably never buy a open bow. I am even thinking about the next boat but the wife says we have to wait I am thinking 24-26 cuddy.

haulnazz15

Captain

I will always own an open bow for the runabout boat. I will save the closed bow for when I get a 27-30ft cruiser (ex: SeaRay 290 or 300) :) . That way there is no problem with space for a lot of people!

I'd love to have a Cobalt 242WSS and a Cobalt 373 though! A man can dream . . :D

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I always stand as well. I'm sure there are many obstacles I would not of seen and maybe hit had I been sitting, particularly in the River.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I probably stand 85% of the time when underway. The helm set up will dictate whether you can stand or not.

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why not have both? Ebbtide 2700 is a bow-rider and cuddy cabin. There has to be other manufacturers that have similar boats. :D

unless its a big cuddy you will never use to unless your changing. they get to hot and just become a place to store stuff. In my opinion. lol. open bow makes a ton more room for fishin and relaxing.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ask your girlfriend if shes cool peeing and changing outside. try getting "romantic" with her out in the wide open. ask her if shes havin fun when shes soaked and cold cause the weather changed quick. granted 19 foot cuddys are probly very cramped, but my 23 footer has plenty of room. shes got a 350 and plains out in seconds. hits 40 mph and then some easy. and holds 6 comfortable while cruising or chillin.

This is exactly why we bought our cuddy. We love it.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What you don't like to swim around in your own pee? lol. See we boat on lake Erie and it doesn't take much at all to get away from people. We (usually just the wife and kids) keep a porta under the back seat. Just take a big beach towel and cover up. Beats running back to the dock and waiting (especially since the wife is prego now).

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ask the wife/girlfriend????

Ask the wife/girlfriend????

Ask the wife/girlfriend if she can pee outside, is comfy getting wet, etc???? Yeah right!!! The only thing I ask is: Are you going out with me in the bowrider or not?
(Don't tell her, even though she usually says "yes", I think I'm sometimes happier when she says "no"!)