buying a boat 1988 Chris Craft scorpion

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:DI want to start by saying thank you for everyones input and for this website.
Didn't know where to post this so ill do it here, pretty sure moderators will help me out.

To start: I'm looking at purchasing a 1988 Chris Craft scorpion ski Jack 21'
it has a merc 350 mid mount with an Alpha 1 drive connected by drive shaft.

I want to know if anyone has any experience of ownership or working on this boat. You comments on the make and model. and about the engine mounting position, is the drive shaft create a week point on the boat?
The boat has been sitting in the back yard for 4 years without the carb on the engine. Attached a fresh battery engine turned over fine. have no idea if it runs or in what shape the drive is. owner states it ran prior to carb rebuilt, then wife got pregnant never got around to the boat. wife pregnant again he wants to sell the boat

Attachments

• scor1.jpg
    scor1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
  • scor.jpg
    scor.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
  • scor 2.jpg
    scor 2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: buying a boat 1988 Chris Craft scorpion

I'm not gonna lie, that engine looks almost impossible to do any maintenance on unless you yank it out! Maybe there's another way to access it from underneathe? Chances are, that boat is gonna be several grand to get back into ship-shape.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Personally I wouldn't want one with a jack shaft. Unless you have some reason that you want more weight forward, this is counter to efficiency and speed . . .

Price?

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He wants 2200 for it. Pulling the main deck allows access to the motor. After pulling everything on top first ofcourse

QC

Supreme Mariner

I know prices are higher here and that it is frustrating looking, but that's high. I think I'd walk.

Where do you want to use her?

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mainly pyramid, maybe Laughlin. Think I'm going to offer him 1800. So has anyone had any experience with this type of boat?

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's down to 2000. What do you all think? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I restored my 83 Larson from the ground up. Thanks to this site I'm fairly confident with boats. Also get good deals on parts from a local boat shop.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, Scorpions are cool, but there are a couple of different styles/examples. The one's I have seen are OBs. Finding another owner here with one that has a jack shaft is a longshot.

Personally, from the pics, I am worried about the trailer and the engine and the ease at which you can service the engine. I am also worried about a soft floor. I see untreated wood under the engine cover. I am also concerned about the trailer.

I like the layout, and you seem to understand the risks, so if she is what you want, then do it. Before I tried to start her I'd at a minimum change the impeller in the drive. It has been sitting for four years, plus you don't know what it's condition was before that.

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trailer is a concern for me too. Mainly the hubs brakes tires. Frame and bunks are good. Thanks QC

haulnazz15

Captain

I agree, QC. Lots of untreated wood, upholstery looks like it's about at the end of its useful life. The boat looks to have sat outside uncovered in the weather for the past few years, so you can pretty much count on having to replace the upholstery and floor/stringers. I'd take a rubber mallet and do some extensive tapping on the transom to check for rot there, too. I'd probably offer less than $1500 if everything checked out structurally.

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright down to 1800, got my self a boat:p

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update! Brought the boat home cleaned it up, copression check #4 and 7 reading 0! Heads at machine shop. Getting in to outdrive Sunday. I can already see oil from the weep hole, probably bad bushing on the shift shaft.

71satellite

Cadet
Re:also bought a Chris Craft Scorpion (86 cuddy)

Re:also bought a Chris Craft Scorpion (86 cuddy)

Hi There,

Interesting coincidence - I just bought an 86 Scorpion (21' with cuddy, but the same mid engine arrangement).

I pick it up on Tuesday, and if anyone out there can help I have a few questions:

1- How do you change the engine oil? The seat cushions on the benches are removeable, but there still doesn't seem to be a way to gain access to the engine (i.e. the oil pan). Is the entire seat structure removeable?

2- My previous boat had storage spaces in the cuddy under the cushions (very handy). Does anyone know if I could cut into the "floor" of the cuddy (i.e. the surface that the cushions sit on) and create a storage area? I'm aware that I would have to think about supporting the cushions, but I', just wondering if there is a hollow space between the "floor" and the hull?

3- Does anyone know where I could get some sort of owner's guide/service manual for this particular boat? I've looked on chris-craft.org, and the only thing they have is sales literature. I'd like to know whether the drive shaft has service requirements, get a wiring diagram for the boat, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: also bought a Chris Craft Scorpion (86 cuddy)

Re: also bought a Chris Craft Scorpion (86 cuddy)

1) Most marine inboard oil changes are done by sucking it out the dipstick tube.

2) Should be hollow, but a mistake can mean a hole in the hull :eek: MOst manufacturers would already give access to open areas, but it is cheaper not to, so may just be a cost they avoided.

3) You should repost that in the I/O section. This is really an engine/drive topic and I think there is some Merc documentation on jackshafts. Someone will know down there.