Rrhitt, I need your help! LOL

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey man, after reading many of your post you seem to be the top dog in this field. I have the same ole issue...trim leaks down after its been up awhile. I have a 1990 50hp force. With tilt /trim. Slowly comes down so i figure your post about needing a overhaul applies here as well, only question is...where? I dont wanna have the friggin motor go out on me! cant afford that! I am very mech. inclined, and have some sources of oring shops around here. Well hydro shops anyway. I'll pay someone to do it if you say I cant, but still never hurts to ask. just hurts to try and be unsucessful! thanks...:)

RRitt

Captain
Re: Rrhitt, I need your help! LOL

Hey man, after reading many of your post you seem to be the top dog in this field. I have the same ole issue...trim leaks down after its been up awhile. I have a 1990 50hp force. With tilt /trim. Slowly comes down so i figure your post about needing a overhaul applies here as well, only question is...where? I dont wanna have the friggin motor go out on me! cant afford that! I am very mech. inclined, and have some sources of oring shops around here. Well hydro shops anyway. I'll pay someone to do it if you say I cant, but still never hurts to ask. just hurts to try and be unsucessful! thanks...:)

I think the 1990 70HP used an eaton pump with too port manifold and single ram? If so then your pump has a square base and two downward facing ports. Great pump. But sensitive to debris.

You could also have the early 2000 replacement sold by mercury dealers. If so then your oil tubes are not painted. A good pump. Mercury has a habit of making square wheels with complex systems to compensate for the bounce. The simplicity of round wheels often eludes them.

If you have the Eaton pump .... tall and skinny with square base .... then your bleed down is probably caused by debris coming off your piston rings. Good news is that you have one of the best trim systems mercury ever sold. Good news is that it is cheap and easy to rebuild. Bad news is that they almost never break except for ATF eating them up from inside out and that the fix is a complete overhaul. No cheap fixes. You're looking at $150-$200 no matter how you go ... if it's eaton. If it's the oildyne then it can be anywhere from $100 to $500.

regarding your pump ... it is great. don't let anybody talk you into buy the new merc version. Yours is a better design. It is before Mercury started using the ill fated rocker arm idea. Ironically, the latest mercury design is very nearly the same as the 1970 Chrysler. It has a central passage with shuttle and opposing check valves. Funny eh? After 20 years of design work they come up with .... going back to a 50 year old chrysler design.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL, yeah man. Somethings DO NOT get better with time! I will take a pic for you to better see which one it is and maybe be better able to help me. I should have done that to begin with. Thanks for the info!

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok man, here are the pics. Any ideas? that dark spot...its just where I tried to fill her up and spilled alittle. Not a leak at all. It bubbles around the silver piston that raises and lowers the outboard. Not at that big black thing. Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG00113-20100506-1947.jpg
    IMG00113-20100506-1947.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00114-20100506-1948.jpg
    IMG00114-20100506-1948.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

RRitt

Captain

hmm ... okay. I could have sworn your original post said 70Hp. But now that i see the pictures, that is definitely the 35-65HP prestolite system. So - yes, it is 99.9% probably the valve body. being that your engine is 50HP it will be more forgiving of mistakes than something like a 90HP.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh my mistake. I didnt edit it, but probally didnt make my post the clearest to read.

So rebuilding the valve body would be the way to go then? I guess I will take it apart and once done find some new o rings for her. Anything I need to watch out for? I have read your post on this system and frankly...you dont seem to impressed by them! LOL. any special tools or parts I may need? thanks again man, you have been most invaluable!

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey RRhitt you used to rebuild these and i have an extra couple laying around can i send ya one to redo so i can have one the shelf for when mine craters? also if so after one is good can i send ya one on the boat now? and how much ? i know it all depends on parts but your the man when it comes to these so i hope you can help?

RRitt

Captain

Oh my mistake. I didnt edit it, but probally didnt make my post the clearest to read.

So rebuilding the valve body would be the way to go then? I guess I will take it apart and once done find some new o rings for her. Anything I need to watch out for? I have read your post on this system and frankly...you dont seem to impressed by them! LOL. any special tools or parts I may need? thanks again man, you have been most invaluable!

Your system is one of the best small engine trims ever made. Well worth fixing. The only one I like better is the '92 Eaton. The '92 Eaton pump was a thing of engineering beauty. Used on Mariner and Force.

RRitt

Captain

hey RRhitt you used to rebuild these and i have an extra couple laying around can i send ya one to redo so i can have one the shelf for when mine craters? also if so after one is good can i send ya one on the boat now? and how much ? i know it all depends on parts but your the man when it comes to these so i hope you can help?

I have a standing policy of two for one on cores. Meaning that I will send back one reman for every two cores. If you want to swap just box them up and send them in with a note inside box. You can PM me for an address.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, Rritt I have some more questions. In this pic, you can barely see oil leaking from the piston that lifts the motor up. Is this the valve body? Or what? I am just wondering if this ooks like what most look like that are leaking. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00123-20100510-1910.jpg
    IMG00123-20100510-1910.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0

RRitt

Captain

if you are talking about the center piston with square cover then a drop here or there is not too unusual. That piston shaft tends to get a little nicked sometimes. Oil in the pits and scratches can get carried past the scraper and end up deposited on top of centering ring. Most people never even notice that there is a drop of oil there every once in a while.

if you are talking about the tall skinny tilt piston then there should be no leaks. This should be serviced right away. Water in tilt cylinder will eventually rust out your bypass valve. That is a big job with some extremely hard to find parts. Putting new seals on a ram is a small job that can be done while system is still mounted. It doesn't make sense to ignore the problem.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, I am talking about the tall skinny silver polished looking ram that actualy lifts the motor up. It is leaking and bubbleing right there. No where else. That square thing, it is not leaking that I know of. Is that clearer? Sorry I just dont really know how to explain it any better. And cant draw on the pic at all to try and show you better, hopefully you understand what I am talking about, and yeah, if I cant do it myself, I am gonna get it done asap! thankd rritt.