Tach not working, Is my motor overcharging??

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an evinrude 112 SPL, 1994. I cleaned the carbs and got everything set and ran it on the flusher this spring a few times while getting it dialed in. It seemed my rpms were too high, as it idled around 1100rpm. Now that I got it in the water it sounds like it idles perfect, but now for some reason the tach does not work, and it was working at home. I had a rectifier go out last year and the batteries were not charging and the tach didn't work. Today the batteries were deffinately charging, but the guage was getting up around 15 volts, maybe a little more. Is it overcharging? Need help figuring why the tach no worky.

Last edited:

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tach not working, need help

Shouldn't be overcharging at 15V. I'd verify that with a multimeter at the battery. Did you have a signal to the tach?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Maybe the tach failed? Try a known good tach.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was going to see if I had a signal at the tach and wouldn't you know it the wire connector fell right off when I grabbed it. I did look under there to make sure it was all connected but decided not to contort myself under there to wiggle it. I should know better than that. I fixed the loose connection and the tach works.
Now I just need to make sure its not overcharging, which it shouldn't be. I take it 15-16 volts is ok yet? What about 17? What is the cut-out? I just don't want to wreck anything on the boat or the battery.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

R/R should keep the voltage ~ 14.5 to 15 VDC, if it's regulated. Your rectifier may not have a regulator. You need to check that. If it does, it may need to be replaced.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tach not working, Is my motor overcharging??

I read through the service manual and found that I do not have a regulated system. It says you have to watch your battery to make sure you are not overcharging it and boiling the electrolyte. Is this something I really really need to watch out for or is it not that common. I know there are a lot of these motors out there and I havn't heard of any problems. The manual also states that this system only puts out about 6 amps compared to a regulated system which puts out anywhere from 9-40 amps. With that I guess you really wouldn't need a reguator then? Has anyone ever put a reguator on one of these?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I think it would have to run a long time to overcharge. I've never know it to be a concern.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's easy to control the overcharging ... just turn on accessories until the voltage drops below 15 or so.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks wild, I did not think of that. That will take the concern out of it for me.