Merc 470, new waterpump/cam seals...few more questions.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Merc 470, new waterpump/cam seals...few more questions.

I am done with this boat.

I did everything I was told and followed the steps and the pictures and I just got over heating still.

I am going to look at a Bayliner tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones help and advice!

well what did you find?

where did the water stop?

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am done with this boat.

I did everything I was told and followed the steps and the pictures and I just got over heating still.

I am going to look at a Bayliner tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones help and advice!

So like Solar asked, where does the water flow stop on your current boat??? You stated your only getting a trickle of water out the riser so that means somewhere you have a critical lack of waterflow...

Good god man, if you can't overcome this little over-heating issue... Maybe you should consider a small sail boat or maybe fishing from shore... :eek:

If you are going to look at a different boat, make sure you take it for a good, long sea trial... Maybe even pop a few bucks and trailer it to a reputable marine shop and have them look it over so you don't get a repeat of what your going through now...

JMHO... Good luck....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Did you ever pull the drive and test with a hose?
sure hope it dosent have a Cobra drive.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

The water came in like a water fall from the hose off the volt reg for the impeller.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I fail to see how this could be the issue could you explain your thoughts?:confused:

He has established that there is no water leaving thruogh his exhuast, that would sugest in my mind the issue is eather a clog or he isnt getting any water in the system at all via the drive impeller.

Thus the reason I suggested he check to make sure he is getting water flow from the sea water pump from begining to end, and when he reaches the spot that water flow stops he would find his issue.

The only issue I could think of that would put the riser at fault is if the inlet that the water return hose connects to is clogged and it is the end of the system so why check it first. The seawater only goes into the riser so that it can exit via the exhaust.
Simple If the impeller is new and the riser is clogged (and he's getting enough water) allowing only a small amount of water to escape.Then it will slowly get hotter as the motor runs.The riser or impeller is the problem in most overheat problems.J

Last edited:

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The water came in like a water fall from the hose off the volt reg for the impeller.

Ok so your impeller is good! Did you follow the lines and find where the water stops?

You know water is coming in now you need to find where it stops.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Simple If the impeller is new and the riser is clogged (and he's getting enough water) allowing only a small amount of water to escape.Then it will slowly get hotter as the motor runs.The riser or impeller is the problem in most overheat problems.J

I understand that if he had a normal cooling system, but he has a closed cooling system, and the sea water doesn't go through the riser.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The raw water side does exit the heat exchanger and goes to the riser where is comes out the exaust.The raw water side is what cools the A/F side.

boatdoc55

Recruit

GEEZ, If the used raw water side doesn't go to the risor exactly how does it get overboard???? I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and there are many good points but from what's been said my thoughts have been the risor all along. You can't get the cool water in if the hot water don't go away!!!

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

Im going to buy a new riser, and heat exchanger, and see what happens.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

GEEZ, If the used raw water side doesn't go to the risor exactly how does it get overboard???? I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and there are many good points but from what's been said my thoughts have been the risor all along. You can't get the cool water in if the hot water don't go away!!!

The hot water leaves the exchanger into a hose that goes from the exchanger and enters the very end of the riser and gets dumped directly into the exhaust it does not flow through the entire riser as it does in a conventional system the coolant does, so if the issue was there he would only need to remove and replace the inlet the hose connects to not the hole riser.

If the issue was on the coolant side of the system yes I would agree that the riser is a possible location for the problem, but its not and it is more likely that the issue is a bad/plugged up exchanger or clogged hose, but if he doesn't go through the entire system as I have explained twice he wont find out and jumping pass all the hoses and the exchanger to the riser is just dumb, it only requires pulling some hoses off and seeing if water is getting through.

When troubleshooting you dont just check the beginning of a system then assume the issue is all the way at the end cutting out all the crap in the middle of the system. You follow the system till you find the for sure what the issue is.

The inlet to riser
hotwaterexit.png

The coolant system
White arrows- sea water
Black arrows- coolant

coolantflow.png