need more help volvo outdrive

maajikboat

Cadet
I have a 1978 angler boat with a 1978 400 chevy engine and a vovo 280 outdrive. I am removing the engine now i have took the motor mount loose the bell housing loose the motor moved forward about an inch and wont go anymore.Do i have to remove the outdrive first.Someone said i dont and if so can you explain.Thank you in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: need more help volvo outdrive

The engine coupler should be hooked to the flywheel and the driveshaft thru the bellhousing should just pull out of the coupler.
You remove the splash shield on the bottom of the bell housing?.J

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No do i have to.

Only if you want to get the engine out using the method you have chosen. Not really the best way to go about it. But it will work.
Other thing, Volvo never use a 400.

maajikboat

Cadet

Only if you want to get the engine out using the method you have chosen. Not really the best way to go about it. But it will work.
Other thing, Volvo never use a 400.

Will the motor come out once I take the shield off or should I remove the outdrive? Does it use a cupler or how does it slide in if it doesn't use a cupler?

maajikboat

Cadet

The engine coupler should be hooked to the flywheel and the driveshaft thru the bellhousing should just pull out of the coupler.
You remove the splash shield on the bottom of the bell housing?.J
Thats what was holding me up.i overlooked it thank you.