How do I take my throttle lever out?

mariah555

Cadet
I want to take off my side panel on my boat and I can't figure out how to take the throttle lever out? Here's a pic of the type I have in my boat, and I can't find any lock ring, bolt, nut etc to take off. If anyone knows how please let me know!

Attachments

• 07mariah23.jpg
    07mariah23.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: How do I take my throttle lever out?

If you are going to to remove the controller from the boat, Start with the shift lever in neutral...Because the only way you can remove the neutral button with out breaking it is you will need to push the center button in, Then lift the red handle, Then go to full forward, Then pry the button out from the backside of the button head with something like a small flat bladed screw driver. Try not to damage the paint on the shifter while prying it out. Then go to neutral, You will then need a 11/16 socket to R&R the center bolt. The bolt should have lock tite on it already, But you should add a little more while putting it back on. The torque is (150) inch pounds. When your done just push the button back in while it's in neutral.

When you remove the handle carefully take note of how the wires are wrapped around the base. These are your trim wires. They have to be put back in like that or what will happen is, As you are shifting the handle you will cut into the wires.

To pull the handle away from the boat you could try leaving the wires hooked up to the shifter, This is only if you have enough room to get to the backside of the controller by the shift cables, There normally is a white wire plug back there by the cables that you can unplug so that you can pull the shifter handle out to you with the wires still hooked to the shifter handle, Sometimes it's easier that way, Depending on the room you have to work with behind the shifter.

Have fun.:)

Fun Times

Staff member

Hmmm....Sounds very complicated!
It's not that hard to do at all really, Just be patient with it, And take your time, You can do it.

Why are you removing it?

mariah555

Cadet

so what red handle are you referring to? when you say to lift the red handle? I'm having my whole interior recovered in vinyl and want to get this panel off. Its not in bad shape as the rest of the boat was in but I just want it all to match. the neutral button just pops off then? I tried to remove it with some needle nose pliers but no dice.

Fun Times

Staff member

so what red handle are you referring to? when you say to lift the red handle? I'm having my whole interior recovered in vinyl and want to get this panel off. Its not in bad shape as the rest of the boat was in but I just want it all to match. the neutral button just pops off then? I tried to remove it with some needle nose pliers but no dice.
Sorry just use to a red handle being there, I'm talking about the lift handle that you normally would need to lift up to put the shifter in gear, But I don't see the lift handle in your photo, So I was guessing on the color.

You need to use a small flat blade screwdriver and pry the button out from the back side of the button. But first you need to push the button in then go to full forward throttle then pry it out.