pontoon hard to steer

wordmaster

Cadet
Hi Y'all,

I have a 24 ft. 1985 Harris Flotebote with a 90 HP Evinrude on it. The steering is extremely difficult.

I took the cable loose from the motor and the motor turns very easily. Tried turning the wheel with the motor unhooked and it was still very difficult. I took the cable loose from the wheel (don't know if I will every manage to get it wrapped back around and on again) and the wheel turns freely. The cable is almost impossible to move in the tube.

I could not see any kinks, tight turns, or dimples in the cable tube where it might have gotten damaged. All I can figure out is that it is in extreme need of lube.

I assume the two grease fittings at the front of the motor only affect the bar on that end of the cable as it goes back and forth through the tube at the motor front.

Can someone tell me how to lube the cable? What is the best lube to use? Is there a tool or a way to pull the cable through the tube so I can get to the cable? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Also any tips on getting the cable wound back around the steering thingy would be appreciated.

powderfinger

Cadet
Re: pontoon hard to steer

Buy a new cable. If your cable is that hard to turn I wouldn't mess with it. Better safe than sorry.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

X2 for the new cable. When they are tight I've never been able to free one up, it's just time to replace it.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your steering is that hard, it might be worth it to totally replace teh system with a newer hydraulic one. Similar to the ones found here on Iboats.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hydraulic steering is overkill. Just replace the cable and be done with it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I concur with the new cable but if you haven't greased the engine mounts lately that certainly wouldn't hurt.

There are several zerk fitting on the motor that should be greased regularly.

If you are short on money and have some time this trick works pretty well.

Take the cable out and suspend one end from the rafters in your garage, get a heavy plastic bag and fill it with oil taping the the bag to the cable really well, you have to cut the corner out of the bag.

The oil will run down into the cable and may free it up, goes faster if you spin the cable to pull the oil through, works great with motorcycle cables or just get a new cable, 25 years is a poretty good service life.

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice

I'd replace the cable. If its that tight and you did get the center to pull out chances are you'd never get it back it again. I replaced mine two years ago and couldn't believe how nice it steered with the new one.

KStoon

Seaman

Ditto on replacement. I helped a friend replace one last year. He had similar problems as you. I wonder if the inner cables rub through the inner sheath causing the stiffness and drag? After replacement-smooth as silk. Good luck!

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Try greasing the fitting at the motor first, to do this, get a cheap grease gun from your local auto parts store or Pep Boys, it's OK to get the small one. See if the have the bag with 3 small marine grease tubes, although regular grease is OK too. Unscrew the grease gun and place one of those marine grease tubes inside, then screw back together. Go to the motor and force the grease gun fitting over the grease fitting over the steering bar, it will stay in place if it's on correctly. Start pumping the handle until grease starts oozing out the sides of the bar at the end of the cable. Force off the grease gun and go turn the motor with the steering wheel. If that was the problem you're good to go. If it still is tight, then go with the above recommendation of a new cable. Now that you have a grease gun, be sure to grease all fittings that you have including any that might be on the trailer. Good luck.