1982 Merc 115hp Water Pump Replacement

Titan99

Seaman Apprentice
Just put the muffs on my boat to see if it was pumping water...
No go...
SO I have all the parts to go ahead and replace the impeller however reading the manual kinda confused me.

Couple of questions
Do you need to remove the prop to do this job (seems counter intuitive to have too)?
What kind of lube do you just recommend on the impeller and housing? (Manual just says water resistent lube....)
What leg oil do you guys recommend.

Thanks in advance

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1982 Merc 115hp Water Pump Replacement

I'm sure they suggest removing the prop to make handeling easier. You should use a Merc lower unit lube. Not much more expensive than normal 90w,
But what is peace of mind worth?

Titan99

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sure they suggest removing the prop to make handeling easier. You should use a Merc lower unit lube. Not much more expensive than normal 90w,
But what is peace of mind worth?

So likely don't have to remove the prop...just don't wanna deal with the potential of having to HEAT the rubber hub if it's frozen if I don't have too..
I'm thinking this is a easy prop on job as I just doing the pump and gear oil.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Replace the impeller, wearplate and all gaskets and seals. The repair kit will have extra orings and gaskets. Make sure to use the white plastic tube to help guide the water tube back into the waterpump cover. Turn the driveshaft CW when installing the waterpump cover over the impeller. Make sure the motor and gearcase are in neutral when reinstalling gearcase.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

So likely don't have to remove the prop...just don't wanna deal with the potential of having to HEAT the rubber hub if it's frozen if I don't have too..
I'm thinking this is a easy prop on job as I just doing the pump and gear oil.

Uhhhh heating the hub NO WAY! Just for maintenance reasons it is good practice to remove your prop. Only one nut and locking tabs and it's off.

Clean the fishing lines off the shaft and ......

Lightly coat your prop shaft with grease and re-install.

It is a good practice....... the newer Kevlar lines can eat into seals.

Titan99

Seaman Apprentice

Uhhhh heating the hub NO WAY! Just for maintenance reasons it is good practice to remove your prop. Only one nut and locking tabs and it's off.

Clean the fishing lines off the shaft and ......

Lightly coat your prop shaft with grease and re-install.

It is a good practice....... the newer Kevlar lines can eat into seals.

Rodger that...was reading the seloc manual that at times the prop sticks to the hub and you have to heat it to basically melt it off....didn't want to deal with that right now....HOWEVER I 100% agree on the clearing fishing line etc. and will look at that now as well..

Titan99

Seaman Apprentice

so I removed the prop, dropped the leg, changed the impeller and housing and of course all the associated seals.
took less then 1 hour start to finish and that included time for 2 beer.

Easy peasy.....the only tricky part was the line up of the drive shaft and after about 3 tries it slid right on..

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class

most things on that motor are easy to do, even a full rebuild if you have an OEM book. If i were you i'd get one and learn your engine.