More help? 73 Johnson 9.5 spark issue

smallblock

Seaman
Im not able to get much spark on the top plug compared to the lower one. The lower one will jump off the plug but the lower one Im only able to get it to arch inside the gap itself. I replaced the coils because of this and same thing. Condensors, points and wires are all good. Should I just leave well enough alone? It does run well...Any ideas? Thanks...again.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: More help? 73 Johnson 9.5 spark issue

Condensors points and wires are all good? Have you changed them? Typically dirty points or weak condensor can lead to spark issue, as a "free" and quick test, swap condensors around and test.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your ignition coils may be improperly aligned. The gap between the coil face and the flywheel magnet should not exceed .020.

smallblock

Seaman

I will try swapping stuff around and see if I can get the good spark to change to the top instead of bottom. I have replaced everything although not everything brand new this year, maybe I should start over with all brand new points and condensors. The wires seem fine although maybe I ahould swap the top one out as well. Thanks for the ideas...

smallblock

Seaman

Ezeke, could you explain the gap point between the coil face and "magnet". I guess Im confused on this because its seems the coils themselves dont really have much choice as to how they are aligned. I mean there are 3 screws that hold them in place. How can that be adjusted, and how do I measure for this. I guess Im confused by what the magnet is?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your flywheel has two imbedded magnets which control the ignition as they pass the ignition coils.

Click the thumbnails.

The alignment of the ignition coils is accomplished by moving the heels of the coils so that they are lined up perfectly with the base; see the arrows.

BTW, That alignment is much easier with the tool that F_R makes if he has any left.

Attachments

• DSCN0069.JPG
    DSCN0069.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0070.JPG
    DSCN0070.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 0

smallblock

Seaman

Thank you so much! That clears it all up. Sadly I never knew to do this and guess I have just got lucky in the past. Mine were all over the place....I feel like an idiot at this point...I appreciate all the help, especially the pics.

Rick.

Captain

smallblock. Don't feel like an idiot. You asked a good question and now you know the answer. An idiot would ignore the answer and you didn't. Best of luck. Rick.