'82 evinrude 140 v4 looper good motor?

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,
The boat I'm looking at has one of these, when we went it for a test drive it overheated. The owner found one cylinder low compression and told me one cylinder needs new rings, he has a spare powerhead an new rings and piston and gaskets. How much of a chore would it be to repair this thing (whats the worst that would be necessary?) and could I do it with the right tools and the shop manual?
I've worked on smaller crossflow v4s before but never pulled them apart. How much would it cost for a shop to do the work?
The rest of the motor is in great condition and he said the motor had been reliable for years before this happened.
I'm getting a hell of a deal on the boat because of the motor problems.

thanks!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '82 evinrude 140 v4 looper good motor?

Something wrong ,Bud,in 82 ,you had crossflow 40's,not until around 85 did they intro.the looper.but since you mention you worked on xflows Ill assume you know its a looper.Certainly you can do the job if you did xflows.But,you will likely need machine work on the bad cyl.and a replacement piston kit for next size overbore that will take out any flaws of the cylinders.Lot less parts on the loopers.You need to figure out why it blew.Likely is fuel,or overheat.There were problems early on ,,one being the overheating and they changed the thermos.Also fuel ,and VRO had issues.Many disconnected the VRO and did premix to insure the oil prob.Of course its always best to total rebuild,all 4 cylinders,do it right ,do it once.that said.I have seen the pistons "snuck out of a complete powerhead by pulling the problem side head and getting at the rod bolts thru the front crancase cover after intake and carbs were removed.Even saw a guy hone it just like that ,lightly and then new piston and rings.Of course it cant be outa round.Best bet though is to total disassemble and at very least ,bore that bad cyl to next oversize.As you probably knw,theres no such thing as a oversize ring,needs to be a piston kit.Dont be intimadated by the labor,

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm so either the motor is a 1982 but crossflow or its a different year looper. I'll call and figure this out. What year was VRO introduced on the 140?

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

140 looper appeared in 1985.

Ask the owner to take a look at the carbs...if they are 4 single barrel black plastic like material, then its a looper....if double barrel metal carbs then is a crossflow.

I'm sure there are better ways to tell the difference, but that's how I do a quick check.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The '85 loop charged motor has the throttle butterflies in an adapter plate, the float bowls were separate, mounted to the adapter plate. It also had the big gearcase. I owned one from new until a few years ago. It also had a water control valve (when new) connected to the throttle linkage ... the three hoses a a very simple giveaway.

There were a bunch of service memos for the 120/140's, but once you got one right, they were great motors. Mine needed the entire induction stuff (adapter plates, carbs, gaskets, etc.) changed under warranty and it was terrific for the next 20 years.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

complete rebuild, if he is asking $2.00 it is too much.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Stay away from it.
My 2 cents.