Thinking about trading for this boat. No exp. with chrysler

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://waco.craigslist.org/boa/1689534168.html

I have a Lone star 14 ft with a rebuilt 66 johnson 20 on it and trolling motor. My boat is in great shape and runs perfect.

I dont know anything about chrysler boats or motors. And how fast could this boat go, any ideas about gas consumption?

Would any of you think this is a good trade?
Thanks for any input.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinking about trading for this boat. No exp. with chrysler

Well, That Chrysler boat is a great hull. It looks a little clumsy and heavy at the bow, BUT: You will be surprised at how well it handles--provided it is in good condition. At 18 feet, it will be a little underpowered with the 115 but it will still plane and go fast enough to tube and ski. Figure most likely around 27 MPH.

For a straight trade: If it were me, no contest! I would do it in a New York minute.

For you: You need to decide if you want a boat that size and if you want that old an engine. Remember: Even if you do have trouble, parts ARE available AND the engine is dirt simple--easy to work on.

Perhaps it would help if you asked more opinions over at The Chrysler Crew (Chrysler marine forum)

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any idea about the fuel consumption?

And im assuming you cant walk into the front of this boat? Like a closed Bow?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The pictures say "be very afraid" to me. Never been in a Chrysler boat, but the pictures also say this boat has been outside for a very long time, and you can bet it needs more attention than seats and carpet. The motor? Heavy, mechanical nightmare, fuel hog, all come to mind.

Your boat is in great shape and runs perfect, bigger is not always better ... ;)

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im planning on going this sunday to test drive the boat.

I dont have a problem with the carpet and seats but I will definitely make sure the hull and motor are in great shape. I dont want to inherit another mans headache.

Is there anything that i really need to look for on these type of boats? Ive only had experience with aluminum boats.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your biggest concern is rot in the wooden components of the hull. Deck, stringers, and transom. Rot in these areas is repairable but it is a big job and the materials are somewhat pricey. Unfortunately seeing how this boat has obviously been left out uncovered for some time, I would be willing to bet it has rot issues.

Although, as Frank said, some parts are still available for Chrysler outboards, you have to know where to look and service will pretty much be a DIY or nothing affair.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im assuming you check for that by not stomping, but stepping heavily around the boat.

Im decently mechanically inclined, enough for small repairs and maintenance.

What really has me intrigued about this boat is if the engine runs strong i would like to try redoing the interior use it for a summer and then turnaround and try to make a profit off of it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A boat with an obsolete outboard on it is not one I'd try to flip for a profit.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It all depends on how well it runs. Im definitely not going to invest more than a couple hundred.

And the more ive thought about it i think i might like one of these pleasure boats more than a traditional bass boat.

I only have about 400 invested in the lone star. I traded an old four wheeler for it, sold the 5 hp motor that was on it for 450 and got the 20 for 800.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well in that case go for it. Not wanting to come across as just a negative-nancy...I will say it's a neat old hull and I do actually have a soft spot for those old Chryslers and I'd love to see one kept running.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problems.

Ive never seen one of these. Do you know if Chrysler actually made the hull? Or could it be another boat with a Chrysler badge?

Also being that i havent seen this boat this whole thing depends on how it looks and whether or not it runs great when we take it on a test run sunday.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Chrysler actually did make boats! Some really solid and neat ones.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats pretty cool. I figured it would have been like an eldocraft or bayliner with chrysler badges.

Well i will look at it and drive it on sunday and post to let yall know how it goes. Ill either have a cool old ski boat to park next to my Gran Torino or Ill keep my Lone Star, which is also a pretty cool old boat with alot of little add ons.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Chrysler actually bought Lone Star boats and designed their own hulls. They were built at the facility in Plano, Texas. They were a rugged, solid riding hull. Your particular hull has a riding pad--I'm not sure, but Chrysler may have pioneered this feature. Another interesting feature not seen on other boats is the bow light is integrated with the rub rail. Thus, it doesn't stick up on the deck.

The small sponsons on the sides let the boat ride like a deep vee, but on turns, they dig in and it comes around like it is on rails. In the late 60s and early 70s, I don't think there was a better riding hull.

NO---That hull has a solid deck with no walk through windshield. However, storage underneath is massive.

It is doubtful that you will find a sofe floor since the hull is completely foam filled. If the foam is waterlogged---- the boat will be very heavy. If not, the foam will deaden vibration and basically make the bottom stronger. So there you have the pluses and minuses,

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you know if theres any way to tell if the foam is waterlogged besides actually weighing the boat?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well once it's in your possession you can take a "core sample". But if you're wanting to do it prior to purchase I don't have any ideas for you.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Have the owner stop and weigh it on the way to the test drive......that may clue you in on wet foam....