Transducer creates a rooster tail!

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Humminbird Model 565 mounted on my 20' aluminum hulled boat. At speed the transducer kicks off a five foot high rooster tail. Is this a factor of the transducer simply not being low enough in the water?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Transducer creates a rooster tail!

I have a Humminbird Model 565 mounted on my 20' aluminum hulled boat. At speed the transducer kicks off a five foot high rooster tail. Is this a factor of the transducer simply not being low enough in the water?

It could be too low. Another possibility is a missing plug between the transducer and bracket. Most units come with a rubber plug that fits in there. If you didn't receive one, you can wrap some black electrical tape around the gap and see if it improves on your isse.

VIPV162

Cadet

would like to hear if you solved your problem and how. I would have guessed that the transducer is set too low below the pad.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Could also be too low in the water. Does your transducer bracket have slots so you can adjust the height of the transducer in relation to the bottom of the boat? The ones I have mounted call for the transducer to be even or slightly (1/16-1/8") under the hull. There also should not be any rivets or reinforcing pieces in front of the transducer if possible.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could also be too low in the water. Does your transducer bracket have slots so you can adjust the height of the transducer in relation to the bottom of the boat? The ones I have mounted call for the transducer to be even or slightly (1/16-1/8") under the hull. There also should not be any rivets or reinforcing pieces in front of the transducer if possible.

Yes, the bracket does have slots for up/down adjustment. I thought if it was too low, it would cause the roostertail but you're thinking that it may be a bit too high, right?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That was actually a design flaw from Humminbird.

Call their customer service and they will mail you the updated mounting brackets and hardware for free.
They started doing this over a year ago after so many of us complained.

Toll-free: 1-800-633-1468
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm CST

Until you get the new parts just wrap the two arms that come off the mount with electrical tape to close the void if front of the transducer.
No more rooster tail.

I have had my new bracket since last summer but the tape trick works so i have not installed it yet.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

We're going around in circles. :eek: I thought your original post said you thought the transducer was mounted too high on your transom. I thought it might have been mounted too low. I've mounted transducers on aluminum boats before and mine all were pretty much even with the bottom of the hull. But I think I remember reading in the instructions that you may have to go lower (just slightly...start at 1/16")..depends on air bubbles created by rivets or reinforcement pieces I think. You need solid water under the transducer for optimum performance. I'd start with it even with the hull then try moving it down if it's kicking up water or not reading steady. I don't think you'd want it above the hull. Also follow up on Gary's post too. Sounds like that could be the whole problem.