Drain plugs question

swalk1982

Cadet
Just bought a 1990 Ebbtide Campioni 180. It has two drain holes right next to each other. One has threads and he included a metal plug that threads into it. The other hole is plastic and looks like the bilge pump hole on the side of the boat. What kind of plug do I need to get for this? What are two drain holes for? I'm familiar with one drain hole with a rubber plug that goes into it.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Drain plugs question

It sounds as though the threaded plug is a garboard plug used, "in theory", to drain water from between the floor and the hull. The other appears to be a simple bilge drain. Photos might help us help you.

Jakebob

Seaman

It sounds as though the threaded plug is a garboard plug used, "in theory", to drain water from between the floor and the hull. The other appears to be a simple bilge drain. Photos might help us help you.

X2

I have the same set-up. The garboard plug is in the bottom center of the transom and the other is up higher on the right.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yea a pic would be good to be sure, he did say he had two drain holes "right next to each other" so I will assume they are both in the transom down low. sounds like a live well fitting like Home Cookin said, in which case you dont have to plug it....make sure there is a valve installed on the inside somewhere though so you can isolate it if you get a leak in your plumbing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

my 17' key west has three holes--garboard plug (metal, threaded); plastic live well intake, plasitc live well drain, all in a row on the transom.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A garboard drain is on the bottom of the boat. What he described is a transom drain. The plug for the former is located inside the boat, and the latter is usually screwed in from the outside. Both are there to drain just the bilge.

Like others have said, the drain that looks like a bildge pump drain is not capable and will drain "something" located above the waterline.

swalk1982

Cadet

I won't be able to get a picture until next weekend. It has no live wells on it. It does have what appears to be an ice chest under one of the front seats that has a drain hole in it. Would this be what the other drain hole if for down on the transom?

swalk1982

Cadet

It looks like the blue one you have circled. What kind of plug do I need to buy for this?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's a drain for something above the waterline, so it's not intended to be plugged. As I said before it can't be capped. If you don't have a livewell, then it must be from the cooler, or splashwell, etc.

If its a source of leakage, instead of capping it you ned to find the leak in the line going to it.

swalk1982

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. Now how tight do I need to put in the garboard plug? I am assuming with a wrench, but do I need to really torque it down?

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

No you don't need to torque the heck out of it. I put mine in finger tight and use a wrench to go another 1/4-1/2 turn to be sure it can't back out.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree stays unplugged.
As for the drain plug don't over torque. Too much stress can crack things.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

... an ice chest under one of the front seats that has a drain hole in it. Would this be what the other drain hole if for down on the transom?

Stick a garden hose in the cooler, turn the water on and see if it drains out of that hole. Case solved :p