Force timing question

J Hurst

Cadet
All,

I have a 1988, 85 HP force. My question is, how do I time the engine?
I read the manual and 32 before TDC seems to be the place I need to get at, but I have no tach. I do have a timing light though.

Also. on the flywheel there are only 4 marks. I have determined with my timing light that the first mark is TDC, about 3 inches in front on that are three timing marks very close together but no indication as to what degree they are at...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force timing question

Of the three marks that are grouped together, the left most mark is 32 degrees advanced, middle mark is 30 degrees, one to the right is 28 degrees.

J Hurst

Cadet

Thank You very much! I will probably buy 20 pole tach, dont see any other way to time it.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If you do the standard static timing procedure, there is no need for a tach.

J Hurst

Cadet

Great news...I am unfamiliar with that procedure. The manual I have makes no reference to that. Can you advise?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Remove the spark plugs. Attach the spark plug wires to each plug. Take some jumper wires (18 gauge will do) and strip a couple of inches of the insulation off of each end. Wrap one end of the jumper wire around the threaded portion of the spark plug and connect the other end of the wires to the engine block. There are jigs to do this easier, but this method will work. Advance the throttle to WOT. Put a timing light on number 1 spark plug wire. Attach a remote starter switch to the starter solenoid. One lead goes to the hot lead from the battery, the other lead goes to the small terminal with the yellow wire. Press the starter switch and aim the timing light at the timing pointer to see which timing mark lines up with the pointer.

Note: Be aware that the propeller will be turning as long as you press the remote starter switch. Not very fast, but none the less, stay away from it.

J Hurst

Cadet

I get it now! Thanks for the help. I do have a question, I don not have a remote starter and would like to know if I can improvise some how. I see a small yellow and black wire and two large red wires on the selonoid, can I cross connect some of these and get the same effect?

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I get it now! Thanks for the help. I do have a question, I don not have a remote starter and would like to know if I can improvise some how. I see a small yellow and black wire and two large red wires on the selonoid, can I cross connect some of these and get the same effect?

have ya got a harbor freight near ya? you can score a remote switch for like 10 bucks.... its just a hand held switch with two leads and alligator clip on em

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Well in a pinch you can take a pair of needle nose pliers and short across the terminal with the small yellow wire and the terminal with the battery cable from the battery, not the one going to the starter. Be prepared to see an arc. That's normal. Don't let it scare you.

J Hurst

Cadet

All,
I broke down and bought the remote starter at HF, I want to thank everyone who offered help to me, it all worked GREAT! My motor is running awesome sitting on 30 degrees BTD..this forum is great!
Now if I could find a 20 pole tach that wasnt 90 bucks I would be set.
Thanks
Jim