Shifter wire disconnected?

BRYBURTON

Seaman
My boat will not start (89 mercruiser 5.0LX). This happened before and it was determined that a wire was disconnected from the shifter. I believe it causes the boat to think it is in gear. I found the disconnected wire and I attached it to something - but it doesn't start. Is there a diagram available somewhere that shows where all the wires are connected on the inside of the shifter. I have a copy of the repair manual, but it does not provide a diagram of this type. Thanks for any help...

BRYBURTON

Seaman
Re: Shifter wire disconnected?

Maybe I can answer my own question. The wire that was disconnected was the neutral safety switch wire or the neutral starter switch wire. There are two of these wires (both yellow/red). I suppose they connect side-by-side. I found one of them loose and think I have connected it where it needs to be (directly in front of the other yellow/red wire). However, my starter still just clicks. It doesn't turn over. I suppose that I get to go through all the checks listed previously on this site of what to do if the motor doesn't turn over.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

if starter clicks then you are engageing starter, sounds like a dead battery. check battery first

BRYBURTON

Seaman

Brand new battery, just installed. Checked my slave solenoid - good. Can't hardly touch the starter solenoid and I can only see it by stretching my arm as far as possible with a mirror in my hand.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe I can answer my own question. The wire that was disconnected was the neutral safety switch wire or the neutral starter switch wire. There are two of these wires (both yellow/red). I suppose they connect side-by-side. I found one of them loose and think I have connected it where it needs to be (directly in front of the other yellow/red wire). However, my starter still just clicks. It doesn't turn over. I suppose that I get to go through all the checks listed previously on this site of what to do if the motor doesn't turn over.

When your neutral safety circuit is interrupted, the motor won't do anything. No click of the solenoid, no nothing. The way it is wired is there are 2 yellow w/red stripe wires coming out of your shifter (they are actually terminated to a limit switch inside the shifter). Those 2 wires are then terminated to 2 matching wires coming out of your engine harness. When you go to wire it properly, that's how it's done.

When your kill switch lanyard is pulled, the engine will turn over, but won't catch as the kill switch circuit grounds the coil. So it sounds like you have a starter motor issue...have fun!

BRYBURTON

Seaman

I've had too much fun already. Maybe I will call a large business that charges strictly by the book. There's no doubt I will win if I'm charged accordng to the book. It looks as if it would be quicker to pull the motor to make this repair. Never in my life have I seen something so difficult to work on. Thanks for all your information, tips, advice, etc.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

what about resetting circuit breaker?

BRYBURTON

Seaman

Since I now have the starter/solenoid clicking, I believe my neutral safety switch wire problem is no longer the issue. I completed the next step and checked the slave solenoid. Since it is good, according to previous posts, this means the problem is now in the starter solenoid or the starter itself. I tried yesterday to jump it by connecting a wire across the starter solenoid posts, but I couldn't hold my mirror and reach the posts at the same time. There are walls on either side of the engine and the walls seem to be fixed permanently (not by screws so they can't be removed without a saws-all). I'm giving up now and taking it to a mechanic the next chance I get.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Recheck battery connections, including ground if you're SURE that the battery is good. I know you said it was new, but new and good (fully charged) are 2 different things.

BRYBURTON

Seaman

I just had a mechanic install a power steeing pump. I told him beforehand that my battery was dead. After installing the pump, he tried to turn the engine over without success. He used either a good battery or a jump box, then he checked the slave solenoid, and stopped there. I had my battery checked - which turned out bad. So I bought a new battery, hooked it up with good secure connections (used pliers to make sure they were tight). Still, the starter clicks. You are right though. I should have still checked the new battery. I will do that tonight before taking it to the mechanic.

BRYBURTON

Seaman

I took the boat to a local mechanic. It turned out that the starter was bad. He had to make a "modification" to remove it (as opposed to pulling the engine as the book suggested). He said it took them 7 hours but will charge me 3.5 hrs plus $85 for a re-worked starter. Total cost $382.50. Does anyone want to buy a boat around SC?