78 johnson 70 horse. Help! CARB SYNC, COMPRESSION, SPARK

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a boat with a 1978 Johnson 70horse outboard. I am looking for places to find info on it. Looking for what the compression should be, what size sparkplugs it takes (i have the ones on it but it has 2 different plugs, champ L77 JC4 and QL 77 JC4). I have the seloc manual but it is very general.

Also the motor seams to bogging down and dying on me when accelerated. It idles and starts great. shifts into all gears (with some minor cluncking). When i let the motor idle and then manually accelerate the carbs it also boggs down. i noticed that both set of carb valves do not move. only the 2nd valve (closest to the motor) moves with the throttle. It seems to me there is a linkage missing somewhere. what controls the 1st set of carb valves. when i manually move both sets of carb valves together the motor revs up great and does not bog down. any help would be great? first post but been using you guys as a reference for over a year.

Dan!

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 78 johnson 70 horse. Help! CARB SYNC, COMPRESSION, SPARK

Should I be using a spark plug with a resistor? The 2nd link didnt have the linkage parts im looking for. but thanks!

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

Can you send a pic of the linkage that is left? I probaly got what you need and will give it to you.

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice

ill try to post the pic. but do you have an email? thanks

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice

here is a link to photos of my carbs. the middle one must be missing a linkage to connect the two sets of carb valves. Also is that sylinoid looking thing with two wires and a spring the electric choke?

http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af25/dbaurmcg/

thanks all for the great help sp far

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I can't see what you are missing from those pic's. Yes thats your electric choke.

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice

turns out that it was running on 1 cylindar and it is an electrical problem. i took it into the local outboard guru (costs less than the marina). guess i forgot my basics. fuel, spark, compression. has great compression though. hope its just the electrical board.