Faulty Trim Gauge

Hello, working on my 1989 VIP Valiant 4.3L OMC Cobra. All of my gauges work well, except my trim gauge has never functioned since I have owned the boat. I have two questions: 1) What replacement do I purchase? I have seen the ones at places like Bass Pro (closest thing to a marine dealer in my area) for around $20-$30, but was unsure if it would work, or if i needed something different than the generic fit. 2) How tough of a job is it to install? Where does the wiring for the trim indicator connect to?

Thanks for any help, I'm not a pro at wiring, and usually a bit intimidated by it; i do have my OMC Cobra manual with wiring diagrams, but have yet to look at the area for the trim gauge.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Faulty Trim Gauge

On 99.9% of these it's not a problem with the gauge, it's a problem with the sender located at the drive. Make sure you know what the problem is before buying any parts.

Can you give me an idea where the sender is located at on the drive? Also, is there a good way to diagnose that?

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can you give me an idea where the sender is located at on the drive? Also, is there a good way to diagnose that?

It's on the starboard side of the upper part of the drive, most easily seen if the drive is turned to port. As previously mentioned, you absolutely need a service manual to diagnose or repair it. The factory manual is best, but I am trying to get by using a Seloc manual.