Reverse lock valve problem - Please help!!

1974merc

Cadet
I have a 1974 I/O with a 140 mercruiser. I was out last season and blew the reverse lock valve out. Fluid all over the place. I was able to rig it enough to get the boat on the trailer. So I tore the valve apart and discovered that the #10-32 bolt that holds the ball bearings housing together internally had stripped out some threads.

I can't find a machine shop that will fix my problem. All of them say it's too small. I can't find an insert small enough to do it myself. My other thought was to get a bolt that's a little longer to bypass the stripped threads and get to the good threads, but no one carries that small of bolt!! Now i'm stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw a few posts on switching to a newer pump that has the reverse lock built in. Would that be the only way to go? I can't believe something so small is stopping me from getting my boat running again. Thanks guys!!!!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Reverse lock valve problem - Please help!!

I don't know if it would solve your problem or not - but surely it is not that difficult to find a #10-32 bolt. :confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I would think a 10/32 could be found, but anyways,...
Probably time to hit ebay, or craigslist for a used unit...

1974merc

Cadet

You would think you could find a 10/32 somewhere, but i've looked everywhere!! Not with a hex head anyway. And it needs to be a hex. I've looked on ebay for a new unit, with no luck. So I guess i'm stuck for the moment.

...Try going to a general aviation airport, find a place that performs aircraft maintenance or someplace that sells aircraft parts and hardware. I am an aircraft mechanic and I know that there are many "MS" or "AN" bolts(machine screw) with 10/32 thread with a 5/16 hex head. They come in many different lengths. What length do you need? If I knew the exact length you needed, I could even give you a part number. This may help, try a NAS1801-3-(length in 16th in. increments) for example a "NAS1801-3-16", would be a 10/32 (-3) 1" in length (-16).. hope this helps.