Scott-Atwater Fixable??

82mustang

Seaman
I know that theres parts for the old Scottys, but not sure how to fix the problem I created. Been couple of years since the issue happened, so I can't remember the details of why it happened, but here's the issue. The threads on the crank shaft that hold the flywheel on, kinda got well messed up. The nut will fly off and aims for the back of your head, and the flywheel will float up and down on the shaft. I tried to use locktite on the nut, but that didn't seem to help. Only solution I can come up with is to tear down the motor and machine the shaft, and cut new threads on the smaller diameter. That is not an option I like, cause thats gonna cost me since I don't own a machine shop. Any ideas on what else can/might work???

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Scott-Atwater Fixable??

Replace the crankshaft or the powerhead...if the flywheel nut won't torque down, your bisquits are fried.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. Does sound like a very hard to fix problem. Never had one of that kind.

I think what I would do is check out the salvage yards for a parts motor with a good crank and do some parts switching. . .maybe there is one with a sound rotating assembly that you can move parts to.

I would start at www.tcoutboard.com

TD has a list of about a dozen. Maybe he will chime in here.

Good luck. :)

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is there enough shaft to put a kotter pin thru a hole drilled above the nut?

I am not sure I would want to be sitting in the boat after that sort of 'repair', but it might work in a pinch.

82mustang

Seaman

I had thought of the cotter pin idea, but wrote it off as probally not that safe/longterm enough of a solution. Guess I'll be on the lookout for a shaft or complete motor, needed carb kit anyway. Thanks to all who added their 2 cents.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We'll assume it is a small motor with no recoil assembly.flywheel nut torque is 400 in pounds.If it will tighten up;
Drill and tap a couple of holes in the nut for 2 set screws.
Another thought is 2 thin nuts tightened against one another.

82mustang

Seaman

It's a 10HP, it has recoil start, its not functional right now, the pawls aren't currently engagining I think. ( again, been couple of years since I was playing with the motor, got a good deal on a larger, and newer johnny) The two nut idea is a good one, not sure if it will end up working to well, the threads are messed up nicely from the flywheel floating, as well, I partially cross threaded the nut on once. I will give it a try oce the lake unfreezes, no point in keeping a motor that doesn't work. Will have to rig the carb of my evenrude again, amazingly, a 5.5 johnnyrude carb bolts right up, only mod was to add on to the slider that opens the carb ( I know thats not the right name, its one of those things on the tip of my tung, but can't seem to get out).

At anyrate, any and all suggestions are good, keep'em coming.

Thanks again to all who are helping out.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Nothing tighter than a good tight cross thread ,lol.10hp nut torque is 500 inch lbs.
I'm surprised it hasn't sheared the flywheel key.

82mustang

Seaman

It won't hold torque, I even tried a 4' pipe on the ratchet, lasts for 2-3 mins. was just re-reading the previous posts, I love the idea of the setscrews, should be fun to complete that task. Definetly think it would hold as nice as the jamb nut idea, but with the more professional look LOL.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

no point in keeping a motor that doesn't work.

WHAT!?!? You're kidding, right?

3/4 of the motors I have don't run. The other 1/4 didn't run, until I started messing with them. My goal is to eventually get them all running great. I am not really into restorations, although I really love to see them and appreciate them. I just like to get them running, and then use them on whatever will float.

82mustang

Seaman

Agree 100%, I love collecting the motors and getting them running, but if im not able to get it running, than its taking up space. I don't mean im gonna toss it, but probally won't be taking up prime space in the garage, let a new project take its space, untill the right parts motor or atleast the parts I need are found. Scottys are rare enough, that it might even be a good parts motor for someone else one day if I never get back to working on it.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Have you thought about drilling and tapping the shaft? You may be able to run a bolt and washer over the top of the nut to hold it on.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know that theres parts for the old Scottys, but not sure how to fix the problem I created. Been couple of years since the issue happened, so I can't remember the details of why it happened, but here's the issue. The threads on the crank shaft that hold the flywheel on, kinda got well messed up. The nut will fly off and aims for the back of your head, and the flywheel will float up and down on the shaft. I tried to use locktite on the nut, but that didn't seem to help. Only solution I can come up with is to tear down the motor and machine the shaft, and cut new threads on the smaller diameter. That is not an option I like, cause thats gonna cost me since I don't own a machine shop. Any ideas on what else can/might work???

I'd run away from the bad crankshaft. Those motors are cheap and it seems like a little spinning bomb to me. maybe someone at aomci will hook you up.

82mustang

Seaman

I am looking for a new crankshaft, finding one is hard. Cheap, I don't think so. Maybe outboards are considred cheap, but Scottys are kinda rare are they not. Especially to find one thats gonna be non running, but with a good crank

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

It's that way with all scotty parts. Great motors but when something breaks you have to do the best you can to get it back on the water.

82mustang

Seaman

Last post wasn't directed at you Lion, you have one of the better ideas on how to fix. Was commenting on the cheap comment more. I'd prefer to find new crank, but drilling and tapping the shaft is a reasonable solution, along with set screw, and double jam nuts. All great ideas, that what I posted here for, was to get ideas.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

There was no offense taken at all. I'm in the same boat you are quite often as I have 2 of the 5hp Scotts. Great motors but parts are becoming hard to find and most people don't want to let go of any spares. I plan on running mine until they are completely toast which takes some ingenuity at times to make parts or make them work from other motors. Good luck with the fix though. I can tell you if it were mine I would tap the shaft or weld the nut on there before I took it apart. I don't even know if you can get gaskets for them any more.

82mustang

Seaman

I have found some gaskets, not a complete set or anything. I did enjoy the motor when it was running, loved the bail-0-matic feature since the tinney I use it on does have some seapage leaks. Probally try some of the fixes soon as the ice is basically off my lake now. Probally by next weekend, won't see any signs of ice is what im aiming for, don't want to recreate the Titanic.

82mustang

Seaman

Never heard of the AOMCI before. looks like a good site. I been checking ebay, there is a 1959 10hp, I would assume that it is 100% compatible with my 1956.

Shipping and customs fees kill the deal for me for now, funding is low for outboard projects right now, gotta keep an eye out.