telflex steering

basshunter62

Seaman Apprentice
my 95 procraft steering was sticking. I pulled the cable out of the rear unit as best as i could,and lubed the unit.Is there an ajustment for play in the wheel. I have aprox. 3 inches of play in the wheel. moving it back and fourth. is that normal.

glennwolf

Seaman
Re: telflex steering

The 4 bolts that hold the teleflex to the wheel are probably loose. That is what mine was!:cool:

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

my 95 procraft steering was sticking. I pulled the cable out of the rear unit as best as i could,and lubed the unit.Is there an ajustment for play in the wheel. I have aprox. 3 inches of play in the wheel. moving it back and fourth. is that normal.

No, this is not normal. Did you re-insert the cable through the tilt tube and tighten the securing nut all the way? Did you have that much play before you pulled the rod out? It's possible the gear inside the helm has some teeth that aren't meshing with the spiral wire on the helm end of the cable.

basshunter62

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys.I only removed the cable from the transom aerea. I looked under the helm and there was a sticker on the steering unit saying non serviceable do not disasemble so i left it alone. Im pretty shure i had that play in the system before I lubed the unit in the rear. But IM not to shure cause i was concentrating more on the stiffness can somthing snap?? if its not loose should i disemble and inspect the helm unit. one outher thing.I can also move motor back and fourth slighty and get no movement at the wheel

Expidia

Commander

I've installed the Teleflex steering and converted the OEM steering to No feedback and back again.

When I had an issue during installation I called their tech support department and the guy walked me through it. First class support from this company.

So don't be afraid to call them and ask your questions. Don't take the Teleflex helm unit apart beyond that "no servicable parts inside" sticker either.

When it comes to "steering" especially at high speeds, you can't take any chances.

basshunter62

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everybody.i have some good info and I wont forget dont skimp when it comes to steering at high speeds
thanks again!!! bass hunter 62