Wife hit a pothole - a big one

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Wife hit a pothole - a big one

Finally got this thing looks at and it was a bent rim. They balanced both of the front tires and it is better but I will have to replace the rim..

He said the other side was out of balance as well. He said that can happen after a winter. When you spin your wheels and it finally hits the pavement it can cause the tire to move on the rim and put it out of balance. Didn't know that..

Anywho I can get my rim new on e-bay for ~$180 so its not too bad..

TilliamWe

Banned

You can get remanufactured aluminum wheels from Trans Wheel and Keystone for $179 also. They look brand new.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Many expensive rims can be straightened and balanced with great results and at great price.
You might check whether anyone in your area can do it and at what cost.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Like I mentioned before, the womans brother ownes a company called Rimpro out here. Just to give you an idea, they charge $125 a wheel to straighten them. Keep in mind not all wheels can be straightened, and because they have to press them cold, they run about a 15-20% crack rate.

D

DJ

Like I mentioned before, the womans brother ownes a company called Rimpro out here. Just to give you an idea, they charge $125 a wheel to straighten them. Keep in mind not all wheels can be straightened, and because they have to press them cold, they run about a 15-20% crack rate.

NO, NO, NO. Replace it. It's just a rim.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

DJ said:
NO, NO, NO. Replace it. It's just a rim.

Hehe... what makes you say that DJ? You don't even want to know how much they make over at the rim shop, it's sickening. Both the owners are under 40... both are millionaires.

gonefishie

Commander

Are the tires low profile? I bent 2 rims on my 03 Stratus R/T from a pot hole and a railroad track. They were 17" polished aluminum rims mounted on Michelin low profile tires. Chrysler wants $500/ea for em. I found a local shop that straightened them out for $60/ea. This was 5 yrs ago. I crawled over any railroad track that isn't completely smooth after that.

gonefishie

Commander

I wouldn't call those low profile. Anyway, the shorter the side wall, the less cushion you have for the rim. Everytime I see the ghetto sleds with 20" and above rims and low profile tires, I can't help but feel sorry for the dummy.

D

DJ

Hehe... what makes you say that DJ? You don't even want to know how much they make over at the rim shop, it's sickening. Both the owners are under 40... both are millionaires.

Safety is primary, cost is secondary.

Good for them!;)

jkust

Rear Admiral

You can get remanufactured aluminum wheels from Trans Wheel and Keystone for $179 also. They look brand new.

Have had two of my own rims remanufactured (not straightened) in the past. They were upgraded aluminum gold package rims when that was in style and after the reman they pitted and wore 5x faster than when they were new. The shop could absolutly not locate them new so were forced to reman. If given the choice I wouldn't reman again.

TilliamWe

Banned

Sorry for your luck, jkust. Out of date styling can lead to a lot of problems. You could have replaced them with brand new aftermarkets, I guess?
In 10 years of auto damage appraising, I never had a shop tell me that Reman wheels from Keystone were a problem. Ever.
In fact a shop once wrote a remanned wheel on a Suburban that was less than 1 year old. I questioned him on it, and he said, "they are good as new from GM and they have a better warranty." Hard to argue with that?! ;)