How Big Does My Truck Need To Be To Tow This Boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleekpete

Cadet
When I bought this boat, I had an F350 and I knew I could tow it without a problem. But over the winter that truck was in a bad accident and was totaled. I'm looking at buying a new truck to tow it, but I honestly don't know how big the new truck needs to be. This is a 1979, 19 foot Aluminum Crestliner. Any ideas? S-10? F150? Thanks!

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How Big Does My Truck Need To Be To Tow This Boat?

i have a 18ft aluminum boat w/ 115hp - boat dry hull is 780lbs- motor maybe 300lbs gear 250lbs-trl 600lbs-- if you get a vehicle with 2000lbs towing capacity i think you will be OK.:cool:

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

beautiful boat btw

scipper77

Commander

How much does that boat weigh??

Let me ASSume that the boat weighs in at 2500 or less. If this is the case then you could use a medium SUV (Ford escape) or small but properly equipped truck (s10). If you tow great distances, often or where there are many hills then I would recommend something along the lines of an F-150.

Of course this is all just my opinion and without knowing what the boat weighs it is based on speculation.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

Need more pictures and it wont take much to tow. I think i have the same trailer under my boat. Lets see alot of pictures

sleekpete

Cadet

Thanks. I was lucky enough to be able to get it needing VERY little work

Eute

Seaman

I had a 17' fiber tri-haul that i pulled with a s-10 blazier with no trouble and also used the bumper hitch. Soooo.. im guessing being Allum boat it would be lighter then Fiber.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I has a 99 s-10 ex cab zr-2.... It would have towed that boat anywhere like it wasn't there.... a 4 cyl 2wd reg cab might fall a bit short in both stability and power/brakes any fullsize should be fine

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

How much does that boat weigh??

Let me ASSume that the boat weighs in at 2500 or less. If this is the case then you could use a medium SUV (Ford escape) or small but properly equipped truck (s10). If you tow great distances, often or where there are many hills then I would recommend something along the lines of an F-150.

Of course this is all just my opinion and without knowing what the boat weighs it is based on speculation.

I dont understand your logic here. a S-10 has a bigger motor than a f-150 at least it did in the years that I owned them

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the largest available engine in any s-10 ever was a 4.3 v-6.... seeing as how the 150 is available with at least a 5.0 v-8 that doesn't make any sense......

NOW that said.... the engine size is the LEAST of the issues towing... brakes suspension and wheelbase are far more important... so the statement indicating the 150 is the more capable tow vehicle is generally accurate.....

scipper77

Commander

I dont understand your logic here. a S-10 has a bigger motor than a f-150 at least it did in the years that I owned them

Not the case. S-10 base is a 4 cyl, 2wd, rear drums (I might be wrong on the rear drums). Not a good tow vehicle. Properly equipped with a 6 cyl., rear disks, 4wd, and a proper hitch (not the bumper hitch, sorry eute) you can tow 2,000 lbs safely and reliably. The f-150 is larger, and designed for towing/hauling. A base F-150 can likely out tow an upper model s-10 with the only deficiency being that a base F-150 is 2wd.

zibzer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Id tow that with a 4cyl s10 as ive owned one of those trucks... but I wouldnt recommend it. the v6 s10 will pull it around all day no problem!

Your best bet is to look at a vehicle you like and go to Edmunds.com and find out the towing capacity (i think its edmunds that show towing capacity.. if not some other site will).. if its over 2500Lbs your good!

zibzer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not the case. S-10 base is a 4 cyl, 2wd, rear drums (I might be wrong on the rear drums). Not a good tow vehicle. Properly equipped with a 6 cyl., rear disks, 4wd, and a proper hitch (not the bumper hitch, sorry eute) you can tow 2,000 lbs safely and reliably. The f-150 is larger, and designed for towing/hauling. A base F-150 can likely out tow an upper model s-10 with the only deficiency being that a base F-150 is 2wd.

the top s10 can pull 5500lbs .. the base F-150 can pull 4800lbs

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gorgeous boat. Definitely start a new thread with some more pics of her! As the owner of an 18' aluminum, I'd agree with everyone that says a small truck, crossover, or SUV would be perfectly capable of towing that boat.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

4cyl. would not like it also the trans is just as important as engine .

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

I would say anything with a tow capacity of 3000lbs or more would be more than enough. My guess the package-boat, motor, batteries, and fuel-would weigh in close to 2000 lbs. But the weight adds up fast when you put in gear and other stuff you want to trailer in the boat.

BTW, nice boat.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

BTW, isn't comparing an s-10 to a f-150 like comparing apples and oranges? They're two different classes of trucks.

Either way, I'm sure a six cylinder s-10 with a tow package is fine for towing that boat, just as a base f-150 would be.

As for a 4 cylinder s-10...as someone else mentioned, you can, but wouldn't be recommended.

ECVCHAMP

Seaman

I tow my 08 Reinell 207ls(21 ft. fiberglass open bow w/Volvo V8) 3360lbs dry. with my 99 Toyota 4runner 4x4 V6. Works fine for me. Wish I had a V8 for the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.