Cable steering

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have cable steeirng on this boat i just bought (used) its tough, and i dont think its suppose to be like this...its not frozen or anything. Anything i can do?...Also as im looking under the steering wheel, where the gear box is,,i see another cable coming out, but its cut off.. any info will be appreciated

cr2k

Captain
Re: Cable steering

Well you are there looking at it. We can't see it unless you provide pictures or make model off the helm.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the is the end of the original cable, it goes in the helm, and loops around and out, suppose to have a plastic sleeve on it.

turn the wheel and watch it move.

Bondo

Staff member

I have cable steeirng on this boat i just bought (used) its tough, and i dont think its suppose to be like this...its not frozen or anything. Anything i can do?...Also as im looking under the steering wheel, where the gear box is,,i see another cable coming out, but its cut off.. any info will be appreciated

Ayuh,... So, is this an Outboard, or I/O,..?? Which 1 of Whatever it is,..??
With the cable Disconnected to Whatever power you've got,..
Does the wheel,+ cable move Freely,..??

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

After a period of time those cables get corrosion at the connecting point of the motor and it becomes difficult to steer. When mine did that, I had to replace the steering cable assembly. It was so corroded that I had to use an angle grinder to cut the cable off the near where it connects to the motor.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its only a 25hp outboard. Has way to much resistance to turn.. Friend says his 90hp with a cable steering system, takes a finger to move. Mines no where nears that.. Anything i can do with the old cable to make like new??Im pretty low on cash right now so anything will help...Ill post pictures asap..

Bondo

Staff member

Anything i can do with the old cable to make like new??

Ayuh,... Other than replacing it,..??

Nope...

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you isolate where it is stiff? I mean, if you disconnected the cables from the motor, is the motor stiff to turn my hand?

If not, how is the steering wheel to turn with the motor disconnected?

If that's free to, now you have to look at where the cable goes through each pulley, with the tension off, can you turn each pulley by hand, maybe one them are seizing up.

Jeep Man

Commander

Can you isolate where it is stiff? I mean, if you disconnected the cables from the motor, is the motor stiff to turn my hand?

If not, how is the steering wheel to turn with the motor disconnected?

If that's free to, now you have to look at where the cable goes through each pulley, with the tension off, can you turn each pulley by hand, maybe one them are seizing up.

Sounds like he has a Teleflex, not a cable system.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

as jeepman says, i have a teleflex systems. No cables pulleys. The motor to turn by hand is very easy..the cable is not.