I need some advice on buying a boat

I am looking to buy my first boat this year. I know a lot about engines and cars, but not really sure when it comes to boats. Not sure what engines are good,which ones are bad and what to look for. I always hear that boats are expensive to maintain and stuff. But thinking about getting a bayliner trophy. I live 30 min from the ocean here in NH, and would like to take the boat on fishing trips, but also take it to the lake. I am going to start looking at some boats, and need to know what to look for. how many hours on the engine are too many, etc. also let me know if you have any other suggestions on other boats and brands. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I need some advice on buying a boat

There are many, many threads on this forum that can answer your questions, etc. Use the "search" function with various keywords and you can spend hours getting good information. Good luck in your search on iboats and in your search for your new toy!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: I need some advice on buying a boat

In general, stick with Mercruiser or Volvo for I/O boats. Once exception being the Mercruiser 470 which was a 3.7L 4 Cyl. It was a problematic design and has many NLA parts. For outboards, anything other than Chrysler/Force is fine.