Newbie ... help, recommend me a boat!

Steve77

Recruit
Hi, I'm new to boating and want to get a boat for the summer. It'd be great if anybody could give me some recommendations for the kinds of boat I should be looking for. Here's what I'm looking for in a boat:

• I'd like a boat that can carry 6-8 people but it needs to be pretty compact (say under 20ft)

• It would need to be easy to handle as I'm a complete beginner, and also as low-maintenance as possible

• I live on a houseboat on lake union in Seattle and would keep the boat there, stored in the water full time (it's fresh water), but I'd mainly be using the boat on lake Washington (also fresh water, but much larger). Occasionally I might go into Puget Sound (salt water)

• To get to my houseboat I need to weave through some tight gaps between other people's boats, so I'd really like a narrow and manoeuvrable boat

• I'd like to be able to ski/wakeboard/tube behind it, but not to such a high level I need a specific wake boat

• I'd be looking to buy a used boat and my budget is $10,000

Thanks loads for any ideas!

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie ... help, recommend me a boat!

a Bayliner Capri w/ 80hp Force motor is in your future:D

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

just kidding
search here and on craiglist or other places. Tons of boats and deals out there,,,just have to find what suits your needs.
To fit that many people on that small of boat I would not recomend,,,but that is me.
Sea trial your selection prior to purchasing and get it professioanally surveyed and or checked out.
Best of luck and let us know how you make out.

mikeroche

Seaman Apprentice

there are all sorts of fish&ski boats out there,i would forget about the 6to8 people,to many, to small of a boat,just to be safe

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

For that many people you will be maxing out the allowable max rating for persons in acraft that size also for those activities if you could live w/4 to 6 persons tat size is a good choice w/ a v6 or v8 power package anything smaller would be a waste of your time and money for those expected activities. I have a 17.5 open bow SeaRay w/ a 3.0 LX and wish I had a v6 or v8 because we tube/ski allot more since the kids are getting bigger and the power is just not there but as far as changing from fresh to salt water from what I hear it is'nt a good thing to run saltwater thru a drive sytem long term especially if you don't flush it after every use. look above in the boats for sale here on I boats many deals to be had in that price range. Good luck and hoped this little bit of experience and info helped!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

about the only boat that will carry that many people in that size is a Carolina Skiff and possible copies such as Bay Runner. But there are trade-off's. For one thing, it requires a simple and light hull; add a double hull and seating and your available room (weight) for passengers is reduced.

As to low maintenance, there are two areas to assess.
1. Boat motors need maintenance more than cars, including religious fuel treatment. But it's not that onerous. The older the motor, though the cheaper-and more maintenance required.

2. Hulls/interior: avoid maintenance issues by avoiding carpet, wood and built-in uphostelry. Many all-fiberglass center consoles require very little, although some are being made with fixed uphostelry. That also assumes you don't mind the boat getting weathered by being uncovered (although you should cover the console--easy enough). The trade off for the always-new shiny waxed boat is the labor and expense for covering and waxing; it is merely a trade-off. But it's hard to completely cover a boat in the water.
Take advantage of where you live, walk around and check out hull designs and how they are kept, and more important, talk to the people at your marina.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I also think you're talking about too many people for that legtth, but the capacity plate will tell the story. Pay attention to it. Don't overload the boat!

Types for maximum passenger room and comfort:

Deck boat
Dual console or bow rider
Pontoon boat

First types will also provide better sea-worthiness than the pontoon, but peoiple tell me the pontoons make great party boats in smooth water. All the boats in the 20' range will have about the same beam- 8' or 8 1/2'

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Plenty of 19-20'ers out there that can handle 8 people.

Even a Bayliner, 1995 or newer, imho.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-Bayliner-2050LS-96511451

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-BAYLINER-2150-95456590

bp5306715670861843820.jpg

I would look at bow riders with i/o.
Minimum of a 305 v8, preferably a 350.

If not bowrider, a deck boat, but that is a different price range.

Steve77

Recruit

Thanks all ... some good suggestions there, that 98 bayliner looks great. Out of interest what's the advantage of having an i/o motor rather than an outboard? I was kind of thinking an outboard would be better for a boat that will be permanently in the water as you can raise the prop out of the water and stop gunk forming on it. Is that right or is it not really an issue?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Thanks all ... some good suggestions there, that 98 bayliner looks great. Out of interest what's the advantage of having an i/o motor rather than an outboard? I was kind of thinking an outboard would be better for a boat that will be permanently in the water as you can raise the prop out of the water and stop gunk forming on it. Is that right or is it not really an issue?

That could turn into quite a debate :)

Basically, I'd say you're right. If you're mooring in salt water, the O/B is a winner in terms of being able to raise the whole thing to inhibit corrosion and marine growth. IMO, the advantage is less pronounced if you're mooring in fresh. Even with your side trips to Puget Sound, the mechanicals will be "flushed" with fresh when you come back.

O/B's are generally considerd to be cheaper to own, though I question that when you consider modern outboards and all their electronics. Seems to me one type's about as complicated overall as the other, though basic maintenance on the O'B is simpler.

You'll get lots of opinions on this topic, so stay tuned. ;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Also remember that a boat that is rated for X people is usually too crowded to enjoy with X people. I find you have to at least reduce by 2, but more if your boat is all closed in with cushioned seating like that bow rider in the photo. Reduce even more if you'd like to move around in the boat, to fish, stretch out and sun, ski/tube, etc. and to be able to bring food, drink, towels, jackets, etc. This is why I prefer center consoles, even for cruising. PLus the inboard takes up a lot of cabin space. So if you think you'll carry 8 people a lot, get one rated for 10-12.

If you can, go out on a boat with 8 people and see how that design works--or observe one with that many people.