New 470 Mercruiser Owner

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New Mercruiser Owner

Please explain why the #45 gaskets have holes for the jacket but the plate #46 does not. Both the riser and manifold have outer jackets. Surely the #46 plate would block the flow, or am I missing something here??

Thanks

....to the best of my knowledge, all 470's (3.7L) were closed-system cooled.
Therefore, piece 46 acts as a divider between the circulating engine coolant and the raw water from the heat exchanger, which mixes with the exhaust gases.
Pieces 45 are a generic gasket and, in our cases, only acts as a seal between components.
That said, the pictures you provided do not indicate antifreeze (be it pink or green). I, like others suspect a raw water intrusion. Perhaps, does your boat have an oil cooler?? A rupture within the cooler would send raw water into the oil.
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny:)

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please explain why the #45 gaskets have holes for the jacket but the plate #46 does not. Both the riser and manifold have outer jackets. Surely the #46 plate would block the flow, or am I missing something here??

Thanks

....to the best of my knowledge, all 470's (3.7L) were closed-system cooled.
Therefore, piece 46 acts as a divider between the circulating engine coolant and the raw water from the heat exchanger, which mixes with the exhaust gases.
Pieces 45 are a generic gasket and, in our cases, only acts as a seal between components.
That said, the pictures you provided do not indicate antifreeze (be it pink or green). I, like others suspect a raw water intrusion. Perhaps, does your boat have an oil cooler?? A rupture within the cooler would send raw water into the oil.
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny:)

No oil cooler on my setup. So am I correct in saying that the riser is raw water cooled and manifold is closed coolant cooled? Because the only hole in the plate I have is the main hole in the middle for exhaust gases.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

No oil cooler on my setup. So am I correct in saying that the riser is raw water cooled and manifold is closed coolant cooled? Because the only hole in the plate I have is the main hole in the middle for exhaust gases.

Absolutely correct... But I'm surprised that someone put it together without the gaskets. :eek: The reason the gaskets have holes in the side is that they are a multi-fit gasket, and are used on engines that do need the water to flow through from the manifold to the elbow. 'Till you get your disc, here's the water flow diagram... (I've coloured the different flows for a bit more clarity)
attachment.php

Attachments

• 470 water flow (740 x 838).jpg
    470 water flow (740 x 838).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 4

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the diagram, so I take it that the elbow and manifold are multi-fit also, as they too have jacket holes?

Eute

Seaman
Re: New 470 Mercruiser Owner

HI Pete I too am a new Owner of the 470 but your in alot better luck then I.
your motor is still together when you got it, my came as a basket case and just dicoversed that there is alot of missing parts.
To try to answer your milky oil Problem in most cases its a bad head gasket or cracked head from over heat. seeing that your coolent is brownish colored oil can pass into the coolant, as well from the head. Its very common with 4 cyl motors of any type, Marine or auto, with over heating, blown gaskets or even cracked heads. The 3" exchanger will work i found through other searches online as long as you remove and flush it every 2 yrs with Moratic acid to dissove build up

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coolant update, the coolant in the system was green, it was just the coolant in the overflow tank that was brown, I also checked the weep hole on the pump and just grease came out. At this stage of the game the cams seals will be replaced regardless of their condition.

achris

Thanks for the diagram, so I take it that the elbow and manifold are multi-fit also, as they too have jacket holes?

No, manifold is unique to the 470. From the photo you appear to have the later model elbow and it is also unique, and NLA from Merc.

Have you given us your engine serial number yet?

Chris........

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep in the first post, but here is the engine number again:

Engine: 4874676

Outdrive: 77124 (only number I can find on the ourdrive)

Without gaskets on the elbow/manifold, would that cause raw water into the exhaust and then into the cylinders then into the crankcase???

achris

Yep in the first post, but here is the engine number again:

Engine: 4874676

Outdrive: 77124 (only number I can find on the ourdrive)

Without gaskets on the elbow/manifold, would that cause raw water into the exhaust and then into the cylinders then into the crankcase???

Sorry... I answer a few threads here and keeping track of the different serial numbers is near impossible.... You could put it in your signature, then it's always there... Like mine. :D

Water into the engine through the lack of a gasket? possible.

I have checked with your serial number and both the manifold and elbow are NLA Mercury, so it's aftermarket... :eek: and I can't find any in GLM or Sierra.. Hopefully someone else here will know where to look...

Chris........

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't shoot me for asking, but I usually am a Volvo guy, first mercruiser setup.

Would a manifold and or riser from the later 470's fit?

Would a manifold and or riser from a big block Ford Marine engine fit?

Just asking so I can widen my search.

I just found this: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/GLM-51130/
Good price too

Thanks

achris

Don't shoot me for asking, but I usually am a Volvo guy, first mercruiser setup.

Bang!

pcmpete said:

Yes. (but they are still NLA, sorry)

pcmpete said:
Would a manifold and or riser from a big block Ford Marine engine fit?

No.

pcmpete said:
Just asking so I can widen my search.

Thanks

ok....

(Nice to see the serial number in the signature. :D:D:D)

guyaverage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A manifold with matching riser combo from a later 470 will fit the engine fine, but it wont mate up to the exhaust pipe on the transom. Your exhaust exits straight down, the later 470's exited at a 45 degree angle. You might be able to fab up some sort of adapter pipe to make it work, but you will be on your own to make it work, I dont believe there is any aftermarket kit to help you with this.

If you do decide to go that route, go for a '85-89 style aluminum manifold with matching cast-iron riser. The early 80's cast iron manifolds are prone to cracking, and the risers for those iron manifolds to not mate up to the later aluminum manifolds, even though they look nearly identical. :(

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

A manifold with matching riser combo from a later 470 will fit the engine fine, but it wont mate up to the exhaust pipe on the transom. Your exhaust exits straight down, the later 470's exited at a 45 degree angle. You might be able to fab up some sort of adapter pipe to make it work, but you will be on your own to make it work, I dont believe there is any aftermarket kit to help you with this.

Or could have a single thru-hull setup, just a thought.

cr2k

Captain

Well by now I guess you have figured out why it was FREE.

Personally I would have held out for the boat plus $1000 to take it off their hands.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the best way to test a riser/elbow. I have read posts about adding liquid into the jacket holes with the riser upside-down and wait and see it the liquid goes into the main exhaust gas chamber. But surely it is in the riser that the exhaust gases and raw water meet, so how does this test work?
I am sorry if my questions seems silly to some people, but I am on this forum to learn. :redface:

achris

I test risers by first having a good look at them. If they look ok, then I get a big screwdriver and, with the riser upside down on a bench, start belting into the exhaust chamber. The theory is that if I punch through, it wasn't good anyway.

Job done....

Chris........

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

While a have the head off I am going to get it checked and cleaned and going to do my own valve job. One of the intake valves has slight rusty looking pitting on it, so I was wondering where to get replacement intake valves. I have searched but no luck. Does the standard ford 460 valves fit. If so I might replace them all.
Plus, is there a valve adjustment tool available anymore either ford or mercruiser?

Does anyone have a list of all the ford parts that can be used throughout this engine?

While my head is at the machine shop it is time to work on transom and stringer rebuilding on my other project :cool:

achris

There is not adjustment for the valve clearance.. You just tighten down the rocker arm bolt and that's it... There is a tool to collapse the lifter to check it... You'll see it all in the manual... when you get it....

Chris......

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

While a have the head off I am going to get it checked and cleaned and going to do my own valve job. One of the intake valves has slight rusty looking pitting on it, so I was wondering where to get replacement intake valves. I have searched but no luck. Does the standard ford 460 valves fit. If so I might replace them all.
Plus, is there a valve adjustment tool available anymore either ford or mercruiser?

Does anyone have a list of all the ford parts that can be used throughout this engine?

The pitting is probably from the coolant leaking into the cylinder because of the bad head gasket (I had same problem). I needed a new exhaust and intake on #4, and my machinist found them for me, don't know where, they are probably Ford, but don't quote me. achris is right, the valve adjustment is determined by the pushrod length so make sure you keep track of where they came from, rocker arms too. My machinist was pretty knowledgeable about the 470, so one thing that he did was to measure the height of the new valves, to make sure that they were the same as the old ones, that way the old pushrods would be the correct length when we reinstalled them. He also replaced all of my exhaust seats.

As for Ford parts, aside from the head and pushrods, I think it is all Mercruiser. Again don't quote me on that.:confused:

Should be a good runner when you get it done.:D

gettin'even

Petty Officer 3rd Class

While my head is at the machine shop it is time to work on transom and stringer rebuilding on my other project :cool:

The head is Ford 460, as well as the pistons, rings and connecting rods. I believe the crank and rod bearings are also standard Ford parts.