How to test Transmission

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all
Just got my hands on a Project 1980 Penn Yan Explorer tunnel drive with a 351 and a velvet drive tranny.

Having the motor rebuilt and I was womdering if anyone here knows how to test the tranny. It is free and I can turn both ends by hand, the fluid is fairly clean and does not smell burnt.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to test Transmission

well if it spins free and the fluid is clean , not leaking all over , theres a good chance it is a working trans.
Short of tearing it down for inspection or hooking it up and beaing able to actually spin it there is no 100% guaranteed answers

fish .

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

A neighbor is working on a way to make it spin with a 18v drill .
How does the flywheel attach to the back of the motor? Got a lot of rust and trying to figure put how to pull it off. Does it just slide on?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The transmission shaft slips into a splined flex plate that is bolted to the flywheel.
A drill is not going to work. Not enough torque. The front shaft in the transmission drives a pump that build pressure in the clutch packs.

Here is a link you can download the manuals for it. http://www.motoren.ath.cx/menus/velvet.html

What I would do, is hook the transmisiions to the engines and run them on the floor and check the trannies before you put it all back in the boat.