Question: 1957 18hp Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, guess what?

Thinking about getting another motor. The wife is going to freak....oh well! What's wrong with a 6th motor? Currently I have 1984 Evinrude 15hp, 1972 Johnson 2hp, 1971 Evinrude 9.5hp, 1967 Evinrude 6hp, and 1965 Evinrude 9.5hp

I have a couple of questions: (Trying to determine if the motor is a good buy and up keep)

- Is about $200 to $250 a reasonable price for a decent to probably good cosmetic condition motor. The motor runs, shifts easily in all gear positions, cools and pumps water well (per seller statement). I live in the Texas.

- Are there parts still available for this beauty

- Is it expensive to convert to single fuel line with fuel pump. Current setup is a pressurized tank with duel lines.

- Is it require to use 24:1 fuel to oil ration or can 50:1 ratio be used with the new synthetic 2 cycle bends.

- How much does 1957 18hp Johnson weight?

Any suggestions and comments are welcome!!

Thanks,

Cajuncook1

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Question: 1957 18hp Johnson

Well, I own an Evinrude the same year and had a couple other 18's in the past. Great motors!!

Yes, there are still a lot of stuff available for them. Your local marine dealor may say no, but there are many other sources that have stuff. What do you need for it?

These are easy to convert to a single line system. Just buy the bypass cover and fuel pump for a '61 model and you're set. Of course, you'll also want to plug off the return line outlet at the intake manifold, so you don't have fule mix spraying all over inside the hood. The best thing to do is, to remove the nipple and replace it with a plug the same size.

I would stay with the 24:1 fuel mix. It only prolongs the life of the engine.

As I recall, a standard model with hand start only, is about 78 pounds.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I own an Evinrude the same year and had a couple other 18's in the past. Great motors!!

Yes, there are still a lot of stuff available for them. Your local marine dealor may say no, but there are many other sources that have stuff. What do you need for it?

These are easy to convert to a single line system. Just buy the bypass cover and fuel pump for a '61 model and you're set. Of course, you'll also want to plug off the return line outlet at the intake manifold, so you don't have fule mix spraying all over inside the hood. The best thing to do is, to remove the nipple and replace it with a plug the same size.

I would stay with the 24:1 fuel mix. It only prolongs the life of the engine.

As I recall, a standard model with hand start only, is about 78 pounds.

I was going to buy and in the near future put it on a 14 to 16 aluminum boat to keep at the in-laws. Would like to have boat there to do a bit of fishing when down visiting, instead of dragging my boat 400 miles.

Will these older motors withstand brackish or salt water if properly flushed afterwards?

Thanks
Cajuncook1

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes they will. The care you put into flushing will determine the longevity though. Wash it down real good when you're done, and it should go for years.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Yes they will. The care you put into flushing will determine the longevity though. Wash it down real good when you're done, and it should go for years.

Cool, what about the price for the motor? Does it seem reasonable?

Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

yea, any old Johny/Rude that year in good running shape is worth that. Have you done a compression test on it? If you can, check and see what condition the coils are in. Make sure the insulation isn't cracked or they can arc out on the mag plate. Also check the lower unit oil and make sure no water intrusion is present.:cool:

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

why do you want to change from pressuse tank to non?i still use my pressure tanks and have never had a problem ever!imho the 1957/58 jonhson 18 is one of the best motors ever thought up by man,a true classic and beauty.

Reactions: K.C

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

why do you want to change from pressuse tank to non?i still use my pressure tanks and have never had a problem ever!imho the 1957/58 jonhson 18 is one of the best motors ever thought up by man,a true classic and beauty.

Just thought it would be easier to deal with and availability of pressurized tanks becoming harder to get. Yeah, I do like style and when cleaned and restored there worth taking to the movies and pizza......lol

cajuncook1

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I gave $275 for this 57 and got the tank and an extra female gas line coupler. It's one of my favorite motors.

Picture052.jpg

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

I paid $150 for a 1956 15HP 5 years back and thought it was a steal with the tank and a stand. Rick

K.C

Seaman Apprentice
I bought the 57 evinrude fastwin 18hp on a 66 alumacraft maracaibo 14.6ft. guy took $900 for it due to carb issues and some minor sealing on the transom of boat. I took it home and adjusted the high and low speeds to factory spec and it runs amazingly. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Came with all the controls hooked up. Had to find the brackets to mount cables but those are a dime a dozen. I did not switch to single fuel line due to the work having to put into conversion. I currently have about 15 johnson mile master pressurized gas tanks I acquired from garage sale. I run sae 30 heavy oil in with gas. Contacted johnson and they said do not run 2 stroke oil in motors. They have much larger tolerances in engines and need that thicker oil. 1qt oil per 6gallons of fuel. I've personally ran my motor roughly 100hrs and it is still tip top. If you get the opportunity to get one that is halfway easy to fix up, do it. Very reliable.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Interesting post and would generate responses, but it's a hijack. Less grating way would be to post your own thread, and hyperlink Cajuncook's.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean / understand by the term ---" larger tolerances "----And are you sure the parts and fit of them varies over the years?

K.C

Seaman Apprentice
The parts for the older motors when machined, varied by up to ten thousandths of an inch. Newer motors now only have a tolerance around one thousandth of an inch. So the gaps between rings and cylinder walls on earlier motors was much larger and needed to have thicker oil so it didn't blow by. I'm sure there's someone out there with an older motor that will say it's fine. But take apart there motor and look how much "gunk" is in the lower end. You will loose horsepower and compression over time.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe you understand tolerances on a 1957 Johnson outboard.----Perhaps you are mis-informed.

Beagleville

Seaman
It was always my understanding that after 1960 the bearings on these were improved which enabled a 50:1 mix. I'd stick with the 24:1 with your '57. They were/are great motors, and very popular--and back then we just didn't realize how good they actually were.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Beagle----I think you will find that bearings / crankshaft on the 24:1 model 57 are the same as say a 1967 model 20 HP.( same motor ).----That throws your improved bearing theory out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.