Hand Gun

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking into the purchase of a cheep hand gun and have looked at the HI-Point 9mm and 40cal. Does anyone know if they are any good, or should i stay clear of them? It would be a gun that would only be fired a few times at best. It would primarily be used for home protection by my mother. We have rifles and shotguns but she wants something she can keep by the bed.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hand Gun

I had a 9mm. They are lifetime guaranteed, never failed to fire and accurate. They are kind of ugly and bulky. Not something you'd use for concealed carry. But, might fit your bill.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Personally I would get Mom a revolver. No slide to rack which can be difficult if needed and no ejection failures.

A nice used 38 would do the trick fine.

I recently "armed" the wife and racking the slide on her new 40 is still a learning curve. One of the member's here armed his wife with the Judge for home protection and it is loaded with 410 shells.

Have Mom try an automatic and do the loading etc..... then a revolver.

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If their pistols are the same as their rifles I'd say its a fairly good gun for what they cost. I've had a Hi Point 9mm rifle for five years put hundreds of rounds through it and never had any issues. By no means a top of the line but serves its purpose.

Capt Craig

Cadet

Just get her a .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel. A semi-auto is only good for a person that pratices regularly. She needs something that she can just pick up and fire in an emergency without having to fuss with a safety and such.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

1st - My kind of mother! :)
2nd - I'd stick with a 38 revolver as mentioned. Easy to use when needed in a hurry and most are very reliable, again, when needed in a hurry.
Make sure she's comfortable firing whichever weapon you get, but I'm sure you already know that.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree about the revolver. The only issue is revolvers typically have a harder trigger pull. I'm not sure how old your mom is, but it's something to think about.

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a s&w sigma 9mm semi-auto at acadamy sports. I got it with a rebate on sale for $250. Shot perfectly straight and easy to handle.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I would personally recommend a Walther PPK. Stylish, accurate and wont hang up in a purse. My Sister loves hers, even though they are a little pricey for originals they are worth it.
"Taurus makes a look alike" But what kind of price do you put on personal protection?

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a Hi Point 9mm and was very disappointed with it. The best I can say about it is the price was cheap. The accuracy is terrible. I never had the gun to jam but I didn't keep it very long. After firing 100 rounds with it and having my smallest spread of 3 rounds - about 6 inches (at 35 ft) I sold it to my nephew and I bought a Beretta. I agree with Bob VT on the revolver for mom. Although I have a couple autos, I myself prefer my S&W .38 for accuracy and dependability. I also have a colt .32 revolver. It is a nice gun for my wife. It has very little recoil and is powerful enough to be a great self defense weapon. A gun I would recommend checking into is the Lady Smith .38 They are hammerless double actions and carry nicely without the worry of accidently catching a hammer.

hshift

Seaman Apprentice

+1 on the revolver. Unless she's willing to practice with the semi-auto, revolver is the best bet. I would not go with Hi-Point, they are generally scorned on the gun forums I frequent. Taurus might be a better option if you are looking to not pay so much.

TilliamWe

Banned

I know very little about handguns, although I carry one every day!

I know it's not "cheap" but he S&W M&P series comes in 9mm, 40cal, and 45cal. There is a smaller "ladies" version as well.
While these are semi-autos, they have neither a hammer nor a safety! And with the barrel locked back, when you drive the clip home, the barrel slides closed and chambers a round. Talk about point and shoot ready!

Accuracy is great, and there are optional night sites, which we have. Plastic body, so the 40cal is lighter than S&W's regular 9mm, and the trigger pull is not too firm, but not easy to accidently pull, either.

Best of luck.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Have owned and shot (and carried) handguns for most of my life.
A few things come to mind such as..

Your Mothers age?
Dexterity?
Mobility?
Arthritis? Health issues?

I agree that a wheelgun is 100% the best choice. If you need cheap, cruise local pawnshops, you can get an older model (late 60's thru mid 70's) medium frame S&W in 357/38 (I personally would always pick up a 357 do to the ability to target practice with the 38 shells) There are usually a bunch of Model 10's or 13's (357's) in these haunts for 250.00 or less.

Another great gun is the Charter Arms Pathfinder in 22 magnum, 9 shot version...Dont laff at the small caliber..I had a 22 mag rifle that blew a gopher outta his hole...

You know what they said back in the wheelgun vs semi auto wars..

"6 for sure!"

Still true..

browse here..

www.gunsamerica.com

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Kevin ...... I think Gunbroker.com has better prices!

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

There is nothing quality about a Hi-Point, IMO. They are far from weapons made with quality materials. I don't want a gun made of die cast metal and don't want one with a blowback design. It makes 'em feel like a brick in your hand. There is a reason they are cheap. I'm a tightwad, but wouldn't want to skimp on a weapon for self-defense.

I also agree with the majority....Get mom a good 4" .38/.357 revolver. They are simple to use and easy to tell if they are loaded.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

After working in my friend's gun shop for seven years, the only way I would have a Hi-Point would be if it was the last firearm on earth. The only way I would depend on it saving my life would be to smack the bad guy in the head with it. I have absolutely no faith in their reliability to work when needed most.

I would agree that getting your mom a double action revolver would be best. You squeeze the trigger and it goes BANG. If for some reason it doesn't go bang, just squeeze the trigger again. No worries about holding the semi at the correct angle to clear the dud cartridge.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not having a go here by any means. Just making an observation.
These gun threads really fascinate me because they are so alien to our way of life here.
Always very interesting reading.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I couldn't imagine life without guns. I use 'em for sport, work, a hobby, and as investments.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Lots of interesting thoughts going on here and i appreciate them all. The only reason i was interested in the HI-point is the price and life time warranty. With more thought i do like the idea of a revolver as suggested. No matter what gun i decide on it wont be fired more than a handful of times. She's not one who would go out and practice. The other concern for me would be the knock down power of a smaller caliber of gun verses a larger one. Also I think if she ever had to use it in self defense she may only be able to hit someone one time and the couple added rounds a semi auto offers is a plus.