Got an old reel that you don't want anymore?

gonefishie

Commander

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Got an old reel that you don't want anymore?

Just change the line out for a braided line then use any old reel you can find. With a #30 or #50 braid you can retreive a canoe from the bottom of a lake.

gonefishie

Commander

I thought about putting 50lbs braid on smaller reel but afraid that it might cut my hand while pulling on the line. As a matter of fact, it definetely would if I have to pull hard.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Braid is no where close to the horrible razor wire some make it out to be.

I run braid (#65 and #80) on all 14 of my trolling rods. Handle the lines all the time. Have never been cut. Same diameter as #15 and #20 monofilament. Are you scared of getting cut with #15-#20 mono? If I get snagged and have to bear done on a line I just wrap the line around a wooden dowel I keep on board and go at it.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have a lure retriever like that, that I made from a 2# lead ingot,,, cause I'm cheap. I use a bunch of "mason" line (200#?) wrapped around an old 1# fishing line spool and it works well. Hold the edge of the spool and the line coils off, the other side has a tapered slot to hold the line when it's all wound back on the spool. Low-tech, but it unsnags lures well.

I like the thickness of the mason line as I don't have to worry about it cutting me when I'm yanking on a stuck lure. I've been cut by spectra enough times to give it a healthy respect, even 65#. Probably because I'm too lazy to protect my hands while tying knots :rolleyes:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

II've been cut by spectra enough times to give it a healthy respect, even 65#. Probably because I'm too lazy to protect my hands while tying knots :rolleyes:

#65 lb braid is the equivalent diameter of 16 lb mono. What the heck are you doing that a line that big in diameter would cut you?

gonefishie

Commander

when you wrap the line around your finger to pull the knot tight and yes I've been cut by 20lbs mono.

fishrdan

Admiral

#65 lb braid is the equivalent diameter of 16 lb mono. What the heck are you doing that a line that big in diameter would cut you?

Yup, like gonefishie said, wrapping it around my hand, always gets my pinkie finger, right in the crease.

15-20# mono isn't that hard to cinch down, you don't have to really pull that hard, but a 65# spectra to 40# mono connection needs to be snugged down pretty tight, to get the knot locked tight. When I'm rigging reels at home I put a leather glove on, but always in too much of a hurry to do that on the water :rolleyes:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The fact that your cutting fingers and the web of your fingers tells me your that you're not handling the lines properly. Inproper line handling can cost you your life when dealing with big fish.

It's not uncommon to loose guys when they get wrapped up lines at the back of the boat.A guy that went to high school w/ my wife lost his life 3 years ago when he got wrapped up and got pulled out of the boat.

Never, ever wrap a line between your fingers. Wrap the line around the outside of flat hand. Clinching your fist should allow the line to fall off on the floor.

I understand that you don't have a fish on the line when pulling knots but get into the habit of handling lines correctly anytime you handle a line. It might save your life one day.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

what dingbat said, if the fish takes off just point the flat hand towards it and the line peels off.

gonefishie

Commander

If there's a fish big enough on the line to pull me into the water? I ain't touching that line for nothing. Make a fist and the crease below your pinky will gets cut if the line sits in it while you're pulling on the line. Anyway, I'm just looking for an old, big saltwater reel.

fishrdan

Admiral

Anyway, I'm just looking for an old, big saltwater reel.

LOL, this thread went a'skew,,, didn't it :D

I'm not wrapping the line around my hand with anything on the other end, just tying knots...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If there's a fish big enough on the line to pull me into the water? I ain't touching that line for nothing.
Then you don't want to go fishing with us :)

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

gonefishie

Commander

Nah...me and my skinny azz rather stay in fresh water. :)