Starter problems.

oceaninabox

Seaman Apprentice
I just tried launcing my 25'seayray for the first time this year only to find out it wouldnt start. I just replaced all the batteries and the best I can get is a small turn from the engine. I checked all the wiring and connections and they all looked good. I tried bypassing the solonid and still just a very slight cranking. Is it time for new starter? Also I only see access to one bolt. How hard will this be to replace if it is the starter? It is a GM 5.7 350 motor 1985. Any help would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter problems.

How hard will this be to replace if it is the starter?

Ayuh,... That depends on how much of the Boat you've gotta remove to Get to it,...
Or, if that Can't happen, Pull the motor...

I'd remove, sand, clean, reinstall,+ grease ALL of the electrical connections between the batteries,+ starter,...
Including ALL the Grounds....

Starters won't work without Clean Full Voltage....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Has your starter ever been submerged...even once?

oceaninabox

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... That depends on how much of the Boat you've gotta remove to Get to it,...
Or, if that Can't happen, Pull the motor...

I'd remove, sand, clean, reinstall,+ grease ALL of the electrical connections between the batteries,+ starter,...
Including ALL the Grounds....

Starters won't work without Clean Full Voltage....
We'll give this a shot.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NOTE: Thumb and finger tight on a wing nut is not tight. Loose the wing nuts, and use a regular nut and a wrench to tighten it down. Are the cable ends on the cables clean and tight? I've had customers bring boats in with clean connections onlyt the ring terminal on the cable itself is loose. Those poor connections also get real hot, real quick.
You can also remove your starter and have your local starter/alternator repair shop check it out for you.

oceaninabox

Seaman Apprentice

NOTE: Thumb and finger tight on a wing nut is not tight. Loose the wing nuts, and use a regular nut and a wrench to tighten it down. Are the cable ends on the cables clean and tight? I've had customers bring boats in with clean connections onlyt the ring terminal on the cable itself is loose. Those poor connections also get real hot, real quick.
You can also remove your starter and have your local starter/alternator repair shop check it out for you.

I think this is what Im going to have to do is remove starter. I dont know if I can get to the underside bolt. I rechecked all connections and everything seems good and tight/cleaned. Still has same results. Just doesnt seem like enough juice is getting to the starter. It turns over, but slowly.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"the best I can get is a small turn from the engine."
A full turn and more but slowly?
Tries to turn but dosent?
Did you winterize it properly?
Drive serviced,no water present?
Try pulling the spark plugs and then try to spin it.Could be the battery cables, the cable ends especially the neg. block connection.