volvo help

gimmieaclue

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, sorry about the long post, I'm new to the boating world and recently bought a 17ft open bow with an aq131a engine. Took it out a few times, was VERY hard to start and started sputterin a little bit last time I was out. Read that a Pertronix kit would help with the starts so I put that on, had spark but wouldnt start. Then I seen that the accelerator pump was barely working along with a gasket hanging out the backside of the carb, so I rebuilt the carb (solex).

Now I can barely get the thing to start (not a real suprise considering I went and screwed with the ignition AND the fuel at the same time, kicking myself in the @$$ right now).

I have the carb set to the oem manual starting points and I was able to get a strobe on it long enough to see that the timings about 20 btdc (allthough its hopping around quite a bit) when it should be 6 btdc at 900 rpm. Which way do I turn the distributer (clockwise rotation) to retard the timing? Cant keep it running long enought to turn distributer and check.

Also getting quite a bit of popping out of the carb and the exhaust manifold (which was replaced recently) gets extremely hot even though I have the outrive in a tub of water. I have to stay on the throttle to keep it running, and pretty far into it or it dies, then I have flooded it and the cycle continues.

I'd throw the points back in and start over adjusting the carb but I've allready turned the distributer trying to keep this thing running and fear I'll be fighting the same problem with the timing. Obviously I should have done them (pertronix and carb rebuild) one at a time, lesson learned but now I'm stuck and not really sure where to go from here.

The compressions good (175ish), I have spark (and the correct firing order)and gas. Not sure how to dial it all in. Please help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo help

Does your OEM manual say Seloc or Clymers on it?

captmello

Captain

I have the carb set to the oem manual starting points and I was able to get a strobe on it long enough to see that the timings about 20 btdc (allthough its hopping around quite a bit) when it should be 6 btdc at 900 rpm. Which way do I turn the distributer (clockwise rotation) to retard the timing? Cant keep it running long enought to turn distributer and check.

Also getting quite a bit of popping out of the carb and the exhaust manifold (which was replaced recently) gets extremely hot even though I have the outrive in a tub of water. I have to stay on the throttle to keep it running, and pretty far into it or it dies, then I have flooded it and the cycle continues.

Rotating the dist. clockwise should bring it closer towards TDC if your at 20 BTDC.

Sounds like you need to check your cooling system as well. Run the boat on muff instead of in the tub so you can confirm water is coming out of the exhaust. You should also check the impeller. It should be replaced every two years and will not be any good if the engine has been run without water. When running on muffs be sure to plug the hole in the bottom of the outdrive.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes.:)

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not knowing what maintenance has been performed in the past, check your cam timing also.

gimmieaclue

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info on the distributer, I thought I needed to go clockwise, wasnt sure though.

I did check the impeller and it seemed to be good condition (allthough I'm not sure exactly what to look for), but if thats something that needs to be changed every 2 years I'll change it just to be safe.

I didnt know there was a hole in the bottom of the outdrive when I was on the muffs, I put it in a tub of water because I read that was a better way to go. I am getting some water out of the exhaust when its running, not much though.

captmello

Captain

You should have quite a bit of water spitting out the exhaust. I'm not sure whether or not you have an idle relief port up by the transum shield or not but if you did, water should be streaming out from there as well.

When you open the cap on the heat exchanger, you should see heavy raw water flow at the strainer, if not, you've got water intake issues. First change the impeller, How does the old one look? Pictures are always helpful if you have the technology.

Like many of us who an purchase older boat, you will have a number of things you'll want to check out to make sure your drivetrain has been maintained.

That AQ131 is a good setup. Used for quite a few years by volvo under one model name name or another.

gimmieaclue

Seaman Apprentice

I finally gave up and took it to a mechanic, he got it running, and found that the seals in the out drive were shot, wasnt getting any water through, so replace those, u joints, bellow and took the boat home.

Next day put the boat on the muffs to make sure it would start before I got to the lake and no-go. Finally get it to go (very hard) and check the timing. 30 degrees at 1000 rpm so I put it to the 6 degrees my manual says and all was well. Now that it cooled down I cant get it started again.

I dont know whats goin on. I seen the mechanic start it a number of times no problem but the timing was way off (not really trusting this mechanic to much, said he didnt have a timing light). Now that its cold I get nothing.

Any Ideas?

Is there a way to check the timing belt without having to pull the heat exchanger off?

Also I notice that even at 6 degrees of timing that the rotor seems to be just past the plug wire. Does that seem normal?

Thanks for the help, new to this and starting to go a little crazy :mad:.

captmello

Captain

The boat may run okay with no load with the timing off. I don't know if I'd go back to that guy.

I'm pretty sure those carbs don't have a choke snd are quite cold blooded. Starting a cold carbed motor with no choke can be tricky. I've got a choke so i don't know the trick.:rolleyes:

You need to figure out the trick to your individual engine. Before you can however you need to make sure your engine is in tune!!!!

Maybe you could put a heater in the bilge to warm the motor before trying to start. Pump the throttle a couple times to prime the carb. You should confirm the accelerator pump is working and your getting fuel to the carb. Do not us starter fluid.

At this point I would just try to get it started and warmed up. Then confirm the timing is correct. If it runs then it must be getting spark,right?

If you still can't get it to run or it runs bad, you may have to look at the timing belt. But first try to get it to run again. Your other tune up parts are good i hope.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

gimmieaclue

Seaman Apprentice

thanks captmello for the response.

I just got done taking everything off the front of the engine and checking the belt. I was on right. I did get the timing and idle set last time it ran. Your right, it doesnt have a choke. It has new plugs, wires, pertronix, rebuilt carb (new accelerator pump).

So I'm thinkin your right about just having to figure the "trick" out to get it started. Thats the only thing that makes sense. Everything says it should start. Think I might try the heater.

Thanks again.

captmello

Captain

Once you get it started don't be afraid to let it idle up around 1200 rpm for a bit to warm up. I suppose if it were cold enough, you could choke it manually but If the motor is running right, it should be able to be started.

gimmieaclue

Seaman Apprentice

got her goin...read a bunch of the hard starting posts on here and found that just keep pumping the gas about 5 times while turning it over and it fired right up. Really thought that would flood it but it didnt.

Ran it at the around 1200 till it warmed up. Double checked everything(timing, carb)and all was good. Turns out it just REALLY hard to start cold.

thanks again:D